Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help needed

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    No prizes for guessing that AllanT says he makes Mount Fuji under his duvet every night !!!
    But Mount Fuji hasn't erupted since 1707!

Quote Originally Posted by Denzil View Post
    Here's a new trick for you. Whilst in bed, with your map, try and form the duvet into the shape of the hills you are looking at ! That way you can get a 3 D picture of the terrain !! Ooops, have I said too much now !
    Ask your female partner to form the Paps of Jura and then you can try different routes while still remaining in bed.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Best laugh of the year so far guys!! Duvet map-simulation....Absolutely brilliant. PMSL!!

My favourite bit of geek-dom refers to that erstwhile fellrunning fanatic of North Wales, Francis Uhlman. Back in the early 90's, 'Florence' as he was fondly known would get to nearly every race in the North Wales area, either competing or photographing the runners (took some nice B/W shots many of which graced the Fellrunner). He was a bit of an environmentalist (already improving his geek-cred) and became worried about footpath erosion and the impact of the larger fields of 500 or so on virgin hillside. In order to test his hypothesis that such an impact would cause damage, he chose a bit of suitable fell near his house and, donning his best new walshes, proceeded to pound up and down the same track 1000 times! He took before and after photo's and, to his great surprise and chagrin, could see no visible difference! Such a noble and valiant but ultimately pointless exercise surely punts Mr Uhlman firmly into the upper reaches of geek-dom?
    Last edited by Wheeze; 06-01-2007 at 05:54 PM.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

It's always the quiet ones!
    The blokes that cruise alongside you during the club run and ask if you are doing "that race" at the weekend?

They then proceed to tell you how many times they (and YOU!) have raced there, what times you did, what the weather was like, which shoes they were wearing and how they had laughed when the mile marker by the bus shelter was on the fourth lampost instead of the third!!
    This person does exist!
    Personally, I find the road runners in my club are the worst culprits. Fell bods spend more time concentrating on staying vertical (plus the fact that their tales are ALWAYS more interesting.......not much scope for drama some of the road events.

Master and MR
    we have one such geek at ilkeston
    wen i was a roadie this lad would book his half marathons 3 times to make sure he was in, prior to races he would go and take photos of water point areas, mark points in white paint on the road and best of all
    move debris off the course the nite before, sticks and old cans etc

Re: help needed

You beautiful people, I can use some of these..............
    I knew I could depend on the fellrunners of this world.
    www.robgrillo.co.uk
    IS THAT THE 12" MIX

Arrghh. Thing is i did n't think i was Geeky until i read this thread, seems like alot of that stuff is appplicable to me too. Last year was my first season as a fell runner, things can only get....... better...(geekier)

I can identify with some of the above posts.. For starters, there's no way I'll go on holiday unless it has scope for running. Before setting off there's the small matter of marking out various potential running routes on Anquet, and pencilling in all relevant information regarding distance and ascents.
    When packing, the running gear goes in first (that which I'm not already wearing) usually with at least three pairs of shoes for varying terrains. No living it up, over-indulging or late night socializing - 'cos I'll be running in the morning. My best suit is a Nike tracksuit with 'Runningfox' emblazened across the back. My training vests are similarly adorned with that name.
    At home I've a huge Munro map on the wall I spend lots of time gazing at nostalgically, reminiscing about routes to run and walk - even though I've done all the 3,000 footers. My walls and shelves are littered with running related memorabilia, trophies, medals and photographs - some of them twenty years old but still meaningful to an old codger.
    I've kept accurate records of every mile I've ever run since taking up 'jogging' on 6th April, 1986 (from 0 - 26 miles in fifteen months) and can positively say I've so far clocked up 28,892 miles, mostly off-road.
    Thankfully (or 'blissfully'), I've a like minded partner who shares my passion for running and understands my every need - or not, as the case may be!
    At approaching 75 I'm not really familiar with all this modern jargon. Geek! What the heck's a Geek?
    Cheers!

Can't think clearly for laughing. Couldn't help but be reminded of a comment made by an (obviously male) runner some time ago, 'I could never understand my wife's obsession with shoes, until I became a runner'.

I also have an unsustainable obsession for technical clothing. Where my normal friends spend all their money in TopShop, I'll spend hours browsing the Outdoor Shops getting all excited about the latest lightweight ultrabreathable jacket.

I have 4 anoraks

Officially a geek?

Obviously the second paragraph onwards should have appeared in a quote box, fortunately I'm not enough of a geek to be able to press the correct buttons on a screen!