Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bum bag.

Re: Bum bag.

Saw a Karrimor Raid 2 t'other day - looked the part - not too big but with 2 seperate compartments and 150g - £8.95 on t'internet.

Any folk use one?

MH

ive got a raid, its not too bad, fits well to body and drinks holders are handy, use it it longer races when need to carry a drink

Smile Re: Bum bag.

I absolutely agree re the Rock & Run rucksacks - mine lasted a mere 25 years before I had to get rid of it - I think it was called a Ridgerunner and I used it for everything, running, climbing, cycling, walking, going to work, and it developed some alarmingly large rips in it after it wore it while doing some back-and-footing climbing up some foul chimnney in north wales so I just glued some pertex to it and it was fine after that. In the end the thread holding it together started to go, and a hole developed in the lid so I gave it to a friend who still uses it. But I think i paid almost £12.50 (or was it £12/10 shillings) and was disgusted when it showed signs of wear after such a short time. Mind you, i bought a bum bag on the same day and I still use that and it's in perfect nick.
    Oh yes - and I saw a chap on the Saunders last year using the same type of Rock & Run Ridgerunner. Obviously he was lucky and bought a good one........

Can't beat the PB BB for simplicity, value and longevity. Spent years faffing around with various water arrangements. Basically, bottles on waist bags suck. So, I have a camelbak system to try this year. Other than that, for very long races with available water, the Martin Stone Staminade In A Bag trick is still worth remembering. Why carry heavy water when you can scoop it up on the go?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Was searching for some advice on the Camelbak bumbags with a bladder. I don't want to wear a rucksac, but would like to carry water on log runs.

Any reviews??

I did spot that someone was thinking of buying a LifeVenture ProRunner. Don't. They're pants. I've got one that holds two water bottles. They jiggle all over the place, even when I've cut off the blood supply to my legs because the strap is so tight. And don't even get me started on trying to get them out of their holsters when in a race........
    He's big and he's good.

undercover moderator

Since Christmas, the effect of all this arsing about with swimming and bikes is that I've lost 10lb. This is despite drinking wine for England.

Unfortunately, this was the particular 10lb was apparently the lump of me that kept my bumbag in place while running.

I used to have no problems pulling it tight into a nice cushiony bit, but now it doesn't grip and just bounces.

I may get someone on a YTS to carry my kit for me.

Hi newbie to this forum, but to chip in if i may, i have been lucky enought to using a pre production OMM bumbag for the last 8 months....its new this season and is about 5lts - it has small pockets on the side as well and is very stable, even without any compression straps..have a look
    http://www.theomm.com/packs_Waist_pouch.html

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gucci View Post
    Hi newbie to this forum, but to chip in if i may, i have been lucky enought to using a pre production OMM bumbag for the last 8 months....its new this season and is about 5lts - it has small pockets on the side as well and is very stable, even without any compression straps..have a look
    http://www.theomm.com/packs_Waist_pouch.html
    Welcome gucci,

I like the idea of the small elasticated pockets at the side (ideal for getting to energy gels) & I realise that as a tester you may be a bit biased towards the OMM, but is 3ltrs large enough for waterproof kit?

Cheers.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Fellrunner - I've got one as well. Only got it recently so haven't used it in anger yet but was very impressed with it. It was very stable and comfortable. I managed to get a waterproof top (OMM Kamleika Smock), OS map, phone, cap, keys, jelly babies etc in. As you say the pockets are ideally for gels and compass. It's a bit of a tight squeeze but you may just about get a set of waterproof trousers in if required depending how bulky your top is.

Hope that helps.

Talking Re: Bum bag.

Fellrunner ....i have been using it on all manner of runs, and like Phil have had a Kamlieka jacket in it with ease...also squeezed in some other bits and bobs as well. It would easily swallow a pertex top and a small waterbottle, with the little pockets too for gels/keys etc. Although i am using predominantly OMM stuff at the moment, i have used the Lowe Mesa Runner (about the same size with compression straps), i have a Camelbak Flashflo, which is excellent for watercarrying, but if the reservior is full, then you can just get a pertex top in, and my experience with the TNF stuff is that they are too big. All in all, as biased as i am, i am happy with the OMM one, but i do like the simple look of the Pete Bland one...may have to give it a go!