Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wainwrights.

The Wainwrights.

After Derby Tup mentioning one of the summits on our Kentmere recce (i think it was High treet?) being a first for him so he could tick another off of the wainwrights it made me wonder.

Now, ive been coming to the lakes all my lifes, just never walking in the fells, so it didnt take me long to work out that ive done 25 of the 214 summits.

Red Screes, High Street, Harter Fell, Mardale Ill Bell, Ill Bell, Kentmere Pike, Froswick, Yoke, Sergeant's Crag, Gibson Knott, Helm Crag, Coniston Old Man, Swirl How, Dodd, Binsey, Eel Crag (Crag Hill), Grisedale Pike, Sail, Dale Head,, Robinson, Hindscarth, High Spy, Maiden Moor, Catbells and Walla Crag. There may be the odd one ive been up that ive missed off but still pretty lame really.

It just made me wonder, i bet 90% of the forum dont pay much attention of the wainwrights they summit, but from just outings in the fells and just doing all the Lakeland races will help your tick off plenty im sure without even realising.

So are there many of you who are quite keen to try and bag all the wainwrights.
    I know myself that it isnt something im going to make one of my aims in life, but if theres a summit i can get to i like to be able to reach it and tick it off for my own personal pride so to speak and i suppose if its a wainwright then even better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wainwrights
    Theres a list.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 02-07-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Re: The Wainwrights.

Wainwright was a cantankerous old git and would probably criticise you for running over the fells and going too quickly to enjoy the view.

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Wainwright was a cantankerous old git and would probably criticise you for running over the fells and going too quickly to enjoy the view.
    He was from blackburn as well.

I did 40 on Saturday (don't think Ill Crag and Broad Crag made his list)

Bobert

Al

Get yourself a copy of the FRCC's Lakeland Fells. Like you say it's surprising how many you tick off in races/recces. The difficult bit is when you get to all the small outlying fells and trying to link a few together.

Wainwright wasn't in anyway a climber as he never got to the top of High Man even though he wished he could have done so. I think this was the only lakeland top he didn't visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    He was from blackburn as well.
    The home of Fell Running

Bobert

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    We did 39 Karl. Helvellyn Lower Man isn't on the list either. But then i did Great Dodd 3 times in the clag on saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Donkarlo View Post
    sure Ill Crag is - he might have called it something else though, just to be awkward

Im a bagger, I even had a website at one point till I did not pay the bill and it got took down.

At last count Im about 33 off finishing. they all seem a bit spaced out, loose and apart from one another the ones that I have left.

I could put them all together on some sort of long backpacking weekend. Or I could drive to the bottom of each of them and run up and then back to the car. (ruthless baggging as I call it)

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post

The difficult bit is when you get to all the small outlying fells and trying to link a few together.

Wainwright wasn't in anyway a climber as he never got to the top of High Man even though he wished he could have done so. I think this was the only lakeland top he didn't visit.
    I was telling Al about some friends of mine who'd got 5 to go and found the above to be true. They've finished now but reckon they've around 100 to re-visit to see the view Think it's Helm Crag Wainwright never climbed properly?
    Poacher turned game-keeper