Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Wainwrights.

Re: The Wainwrights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Save a good one for your last - I resisted Harter Fell (Eskdale) until the very end and it was a fantastic way to finish them off.
    Well I'm saving Clough Head, which isn't one of the best. I still hope it'll be a good way to finish though - on a BG round.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Due to it previously having held "Private" status, my last Wainwright ( Sept.'98 ) was The Nab. Not a spectacular hill, but I came across lots of stags laid against peat hags, shading themselves from the sun, I guess they were preparing for the rut in Oct/Nov. As on all my Wainwright bagging expeditions, I included it in a round of neighbouring Wainwrights that I'd already bagged and finished by dropping off N along High Street from Loadpot Hill to Moor Divock then NW to Roehead for Pooley Bridge. At the road head I was ordered to stop exactly where I was by a film crew 'luvvie'. They were filming a sequence for 'The Lakes' soap opera! I asked him if they wanted a touch of realism by having a sweaty, peat stained fell running 'extra' running across the back of the shot, "Ooh no, we can't have that!" Just beggars belief!!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    That leaves 17 to go:

(1) 9 in the Southern Fells, which I'm doing in the week leading up to Easter on a walking trip with my daughter
    (2) Bonscale Pike, which I'll fit in at the end or start of some day in the Lakes, not sure when
    (3) The smaller fells of the Fairfield Horseshoe - looking out for a sunny weekend to do this, as I can't make race day
    (4) Clough Head, which is pencilled in for about 5am on Sunday 3 June.
    Bonscale Pike & 8 of the 9 Southern Fells tops done with my daughter as planned in the week leading up to Easter. Slight Side I bagged in a gale from Eskdale YH, getting blown all over the mountain in the process. I ran the Fairfield Horseshoe at a leisurely pace on Saturday morning, & enjoyed it very much, as I expected I would. So that's the lot, apart from Clough Head. Now, about those Outlying Fells...
    Last edited by Splatcher; 16-04-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Incompetence
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Bonscale Pike & 8 of the 9 Southern Fells tops done with my daughter as planned in the week leading up to Easter. Slight Side I bagged in a gale from Eskdale YH, getting blown all over the mountain in the process. I ran the Fairfield Horseshoe at a leisurely pace on Saturday morning, & enjoyed it very much, as I expected I would. So that's the lot, apart from Clough Head. Now, about those Outlying Fells...
    Job done: topped out on Clough Head at 5:34 on Sunday morning! No time to stop to celebrate though...
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

All done here too. Circuit of Green Crag, Harter Fell, Hard Knott and Grey Friar on Sunday finished the job. Birketts next!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Congratulations Martyn....

I still have about 60 left to do. Hoping to complete the Western Fells book in June, with a little trip out the day before the Ennerdale race.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    All done here too. Circuit of Green Crag, Harter Fell, Hard Knott and Grey Friar on Sunday finished the job. Birketts next!
    I must have just missed you.

Staying at Turner Hall Farm campsite, I did a round (fell walking) on Sunday from Seathwaite, Harter Fell, Hardknott, Grey Friar, Seathwaite Tarn, Walna Scar, and back to Turner's. And what a truly magnificent day it was weatherise.

Lucky you didn't choose the following day! I added another of my post injury back-to-fell-running efforts up to and around Seathwaite Tarn the following afternoon with several inches of wet driving snow and a stiff headwind. I was mighty pleased to get back to the tent
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator
    Well done again Martyn

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I must have just missed you.

Staying at Turner Hall Farm campsite, I did a round (fell walking) on Sunday from Seathwaite, Harter Fell, Hardknott, Grey Friar, Seathwaite Tarn, Walna Scar, and back to Turner's. And what a truly magnificent day it was weatherise.

Lucky you didn't choose the following day! I added another of my post injury back-to-fell-running efforts up to and around Seathwaite Tarn the following afternoon with several inches of wet driving snow and a stiff headwind. I was mighty pleased to get back to the tent
    It was a cracking day wasn't it? We actually started at Birks Bridge, so not much further up the road from Seathwaite. We had planned to do our final day on the Monday, but the weather forecast put paid to that alright ..... so our last seven were Binsey on Friday, Buckbarrow and Caw Fell (via Seatallan and Haycock) on Saturday, then Sunday you know :-)
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    It was a cracking day wasn't it? We actually started at Birks Bridge, so not much further up the road from Seathwaite. We had planned to do our final day on the Monday, but the weather forecast put paid to that alright ..... so our last seven were Binsey on Friday, Buckbarrow and Caw Fell (via Seatallan and Haycock) on Saturday, then Sunday you know :-)
    Really great achievement Martyn. Very well done. Now my ankle seems to be holding up, you've got me thinking of a new challenge too!
    Am Yisrael Chai