Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: An eventful run - cows

An eventful run - cows

Had a (very) close call tonight. Was out on one of my regular runs and had to pass through a field of cows with calves.

As I approached I thought that I'd better move off to one side of a small group that were lying down and walk rather than run so as not to spook them. This took me closer to another cow and calf who either hadn't heard me approach or were just "flighty". Anyway this one ran across my path about twenty metres in front of me then stopped. As I began to move on she charged at me and knocked me to the ground, not with a lot of force but enough.

Fortunately at this point she must have decided that she had made her point and moved away, as did I! Some of the other cows appeared agitated but none made any move toward me.

I finished my run and went to see the farmer (a near neighbour). It seems the same cow (distinctive colouring) had knocked him about earlier in the year. His problem is that he doesn't have any fields that don't have some form of public access though he did say that if an animal got a bit too aggressive then it went to slaughter fairly rapidly.

I grew up on a hill farm so am used to cattle but this is the first time for about thirty years that I've had a cow charge at me.

Be careful is perhaps the main message from this.

Bob

Re: An eventful run - cows

Which field is this Bob? - so i know for future reference. just as i was getting a bit braver in a field of cows.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    just as i was getting a bit braver in a field of cows.
    I was getting braver too until I heard an item on 'Farming Today' a couple of weeks ago. They had farmers and vets on who said, basically, that cows can be bl&*dy dangerous and literally weigh a ton if they decide to charge at you, which they very well might. It isn't actually unreasonable to be scared; cows can kill you . They probably won't, but it's not unheard of.
    The best advice seems to be
    • don't have a dog
    • don't come between a cow and its calf
    • don't do anything to startle or scare the cow (so avoid making loud 'wild west' noises)
    • fling yourself over the nearest fence/hedge at the first opportunity.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

I have posted before that I got circled by a group of cows 3 or so years ago and knocked to the ground. Has made me very wary.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    I have posted before that I got circled by a group of cows 3 or so years ago and knocked to the ground. Has made me very wary.
    Yes, but you're probably safer with a herd of cows than amongst all the forumites you've offended over the years.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

No dog with me. The cow was with its calf. Pretty sure I didn't spook the cow - it certainly didn't jump up from eating grass. Not near wall/hedge.

The field was just below Lothersdale BTW.
    Last edited by Bob; 07-07-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: spelling misteak

Interesting...............I worked with cows for 4 years and had a few close shaves indoors but never outside. From this I have never been bothered about cows while running, in fact i've laughed off some of the comments in the media and on here. However, reading this and maybe (just maybe) being slightly wiser, i'm going to be a bit more cautious now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Yes, but you're probably safer with a herd of cows than amongst all the forumites you've offended over the years.
    f**k off Tw*t

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Interesting...............I worked with cows for 4 years and had a few close shaves indoors but never outside. From this I have never been bothered about cows while running, in fact i've laughed off some of the comments in the media and on here. However, reading this and maybe (just maybe) being slightly wiser, i'm going to be a bit more cautious now.

Thanks
    At the risk of sounding melodramatic I think they know when you are afraid, after getting in knocked down I was chased crossing fields near Appletreewick, they came towards me curiously intially, but it must have been obvious I was scared as I ended get chased into a corner and rescued by a passing mountain biker (the shame a mountain biker!)/ He shooed the cows away and said he had never seen anything like it before (with a big grin on his face b*stard)

f**k off Tw*t
    Tussock Face - what did I do, what did I say