Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: darwen junior champs

darwen junior champs

do you think it would be a good idea if the u16's, u18's and seniors went separately as last year it was very congested and there wern't that many runners there.

Seen as it is a junior championship, all the juniors will want to get a good start and it could be very crowded if everyone ran together.

Re: darwen junior champs

Quote Originally Posted by just plod on! View Post
    do you think it would be a good idea if the u16's, u18's and seniors went separately as last year it was very congested and there wern't that many runners there.

Seen as it is a junior championship, all the juniors will want to get a good start and it could be very crowded if everyone ran together.
    Seems to have been the done thing this year to run them together, only did that at Coiners as it was requested for the trial, had it not have been I would have run them separately, I know a few of the 16s particularly those stepping up to that age group this year have been a bit demoralised by being apparently at the back of a large field.
    New routes this year arent there so no doubt the excellent organisational skills of WP will have avoided congestion issues anyway
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Clash City Rocker View Post
    Seems to have been the done thing this year to run them together, only did that at Coiners as it was requested for the trial, had it not have been I would have run them separately, I know a few of the 16s particularly those stepping up to that age group this year have been a bit demoralised by being apparently at the back of a large field.
    New routes this year arent there so no doubt the excellent organisational skills of WP will have avoided congestion issues anyway
    CCR i was told that U/16s andU/18s run in the main race
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Firstly, I have a meeting next Monday with the Darwen Dashers to finalise details for the race.
    After this meeting I will arrange for maps etc to go on to the internet.

Our plan is to run the U16/U18 together with the Seniors.

This has been done in the past.

Last year we did this at Stacksteads.

The starting area at Darwen isn't bad - in fact it's quite good - there's a gravel track through the park for around 700m - uphill and quite steep in parts - before we leave the park for the main drag to the Tower, so the field should disperse nicely once we have cleared the first few metres.

The Senior Field usually has runners between 24 & 46 minutes - so none of the Juniors should feel isolated.

It's quite normal for some of the U16/U18s to have gaps of 1 or 2 minutes in some races where they run separate - this shouldn't happen - so the race should hopefully be a good experience for them in that respect.
    They will also find that the seniors give quite a bit of encouragement.

It's also quite feasible that the Senior Races could be won by Junior FRA runners, and indeed perhaps the course records may even be threatened - so why not let them have a chance of that.

If I find out on the day that we have 300+ runners, then we may have to look at a contingency plan, but I think we will be fine with all in the same race.

ok thanks guys!
    i just thought that the starting track last year was rather small, and it was tight all the way up to the first gate at the top of the park.

Master

good call that WP. It was on my to do lust anyway. So why not kill two birds with one stone

Quote Originally Posted by just plod on! View Post
    ok thanks guys!
    i just thought that the starting track last year was rather small, and it was tight all the way up to the first gate at the top of the park.
    The starting track's about 3 metres wide.

It depends how aggressively you run - even The National XC Champs can be a bit tight - especially in the Senior Mens and despite the startline sometimes being 150 - 200 metres wide!

I think most people will accept a little crampedness in the first few hundred metres if the general race and atmosphere is enhanced as a result.

It just needs all athletes to have a little respect for each other, and for athletes to "know their place" on the start line.

Too often I've been in a race and someone who is scheduled to finish in the last 3rd of the field, is in the front 10% at the start line.
    The equivalent of middle-lane drivers on the motorway!

Master

i know it is awkward but with a 3 m starting line you are talking at the most 8 runners on each row. The junior champs this year have regularly had 50 u/18s and 16s so that is near enough 6 lines plus if you take last years number of starters at 61 that makes for at least 111 plus dads and mums who will run with the kids if they are in younger age groups so upwards of 130 possibly. That means nearly 15 rows. A bit congested for a championship race. Is there no chance of moving the start line to offer both more chance of a good start and still maintain a real possibility of a race record

for absolute equity we would need a race line perhaps 100m wide!

Even the 3 Peaks has problems of congestion early on and has a starting line around 8 metres wide by 60 metres deep.
    (I'm around the 40 metre mark)

I've been in many road races as well without the room we have at Darwen such as the old Horwich 4s.
    I'm sure we'll be OK - but like I say we will have contingencies if we feel it is necessary.

Master

Aye thats ok i suppose compared to some races. Maybe a elite start so to speak