Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tmb 2009

Smile Tmb 2009

Hi all. Just thought I would share a few of my findings on things to note about the TMB this year.

1) New for this year, your rucksack must weigh a minimum of 2 kg when leaving each checkpoint. 1 kg of which must be water, as normal.

2) You can only leave one kit bag at Chamonix for Courmayeur. You used to be able to leave one for Champex as well.

3) A personal cup or tumbler 15cl minimum is part of the obligatory kit list. This used to be supplied.

Also I was wondering how many forumites are having a go this year?

Master

Re: Tmb 2009

Thats a cracking idea to introduce a weight limit. It means people will take proper equipment instead of skimping down
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

the full water bottle is ridiculous in my opinion. what's wrong with filling up an empty one? I asked last year and was told that it didn't matter if the bottle was empty so they've obviously changed the rules.

I'm doing it again. Are you Alan?

I'm not a big fan of the 2 kg rule but after last year it's understandable. However, 1 kilo's water, rucksack's 0.5 kilo or so, jacket 200g, bottoms 200g, plus food, torch etc so it'll be very close to 2 kilos no matter how much we cut it down so it's a biggee though.. I just think they want to make it as obvious as possible that they don't want to see the very light weight approach of last years winner. To get around any sematics they've just specified weights.

Re the water agree witH FMA, but I guess you can just pour out the water as soon as you leave the station.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I'm doing it again. Are you Alan?

I'm not a big fan of the 2 kg rule but after last year it's understandable. However, 1 kilo's water, rucksack's 0.5 kilo or so, jacket 200g, bottoms 200g, plus food, torch etc so it'll be very close to 2 kilos no matter how much we cut it down so it's a biggee though.. I just think they want to make it as obvious as possible that they don't want to see the very light weight approach of last years winner. To get around any sematics they've just specified weights.

Re the water agree witH FMA, but I guess you can just pour out the water as soon as you leave the station.
    Yes I am sure the heat and the video of Kilian towards the end made them be more specific in the rules.
    Just to clarify it does'nt state 1 kilo if water (this was my calaculation) but 1 litre. Which is prety much the same.
    You are right Iain you can use the water to "sandbag" your rucsack then dump it after the feed station, but you would have to be confident of water sources on route. Also if your kit weighs less than 1 kilo you can add more water to make it up then dump it after the feed station. I dont think many will if its as hot as last year though!
    Yes Iain I am going for it again. I will finish it this year though. If things dont go well I will use the 1 hour maximum rests at the feed stations to bring myselsf around. Plus use nunn tabs for salt!
    Lancslad

Assuming it's 4 degree's C and pure water we can assume a specific gravity of 1.. ;-)

Have you thought of using Elete? Smaller bottle that you drop into the water. May buy some and give it a try..

My plan this year is to be very strict on the 500 mls/hour guideline and just eat eat eat..apart from that the main plan is out early, walk back to cham, register and avoid the hype..then set of steady and see how I go..with finishing being the primary objective so I can put this one to bed...

Sounds like a good plan. A steady start for me too. None of last years idea of going out fast to take advantage of the relatively cooler night.
    Lancslad

I thought I would test out the 2 KG thing. I loaded up a Salomon raid revo 20ltr rucsack with 1 litre plus the required kit and a decent jacket plus some food. It weighed 2.5 kgs and 1.3 kg when empty of food and water. So I think most runners that carry 1 litre will automaticaly have a sac weight of 2kgs or more.
    I am thinking if it is hot during the day it may be more prudent to drink at the checkpoints and eat on the move whilst walking. As food is lighter than the required 1 litre of water, and at times 1 liter wouldnt be enough.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 14-07-2009 at 06:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    Lancslad

Are Iain and I the only forumites doing this?
    Lancslad

Looks like I am a non starter this year - 2 years ago I got round in 34 hours and have never had such a missable during/post race experience - injury issues since the Fellsman mean I am sure I could get round in the time limit, but not do a decent time this year - also we had hoped to do a one person scientific case study by the 'organiser says no' - so good luck Alan, Iain and all others