Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tmb 2009

Re: Tmb 2009

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    Looks like I am a non starter this year - 2 years ago I got round in 34 hours and have never had such a missable during/post race experience - injury issues since the Fellsman mean I am sure I could get round in the time limit, but not do a decent time this year - also we had hoped to do a one person scientific case study by the 'organiser says no' - so good luck Alan, Iain and all others
    Did you mean to type un-missable.
    Bad luck with the injury.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Lancslad

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lucker View Post
    Did you mean to type un-missable.
    Bad luck with the injury.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    Or Miserable?

the later - Miserable - I am afraid - but hey I still want to go back and do it again!!

Yes I have looked at your times, and slowing down towards the end is always a sign that someone has suffered. You were going really well for 3/4 of it.

Alan you are right, its that last 25-30 miles I need to be able to crack - 2 years ago it was not helped by being physically sick and wearing the wrong shoes (mashed toes and not enough cushioning) - having said that I still struggle with how tired and slow I was on the climb to Catogne - hence it will remain in the unfinished buiness basket!

I did TMB last year and am in for TDS this time, looks like it's going to be a tough one too. I did a 3 day recce of TMB last month just as a training run, it really is a monster of a route, would love to go back and give it a decent shot, maybe next year.

The TDS looks a nice race, a nice size too. The UTMB just seems that bit too far to be enjoyable. I'm worried about it, I've done 3 ultra's this year, plus a fair few 8-12 hr fell runs but really ramped up the height gain over the past month (10,000m of ascent and 90 miles of running and walking last week). I'm going to drop back to normal 40 mile weeks and steady height gain for the next 2, then the last week is trekking in that region..

We'll head into Chamonix maybe Wednesday or Thursday before the race.

I'm doing this. I always run with two hand-held bottles and never carry water in my rucksack (unless I'm self-supported and have to carry more to get me through a whole day). I wonder how the rules will cope with that?

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    I'm doing this. I always run with two hand-held bottles and never carry water in my rucksack (unless I'm self-supported and have to carry more to get me through a whole day). I wonder how the rules will cope with that?
    I think just make it as easy as you can for them. Just be prepared to clip them on to the bag for weighing. I'm not a huge fan of these rules but they were almost forced to precisely stipulate due to people getting around the rules in the past. It's easy enough for people to pour water away or carry it differently once out of the CP. For most I don't think the new rules change anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by saz View Post
    Alan you are right, its that last 25-30 miles I need to be able to crack - 2 years ago it was not helped by being physically sick and wearing the wrong shoes (mashed toes and not enough cushioning) - having said that I still struggle with how tired and slow I was on the climb to Catogne - hence it will remain in the unfinished buiness basket!
    Good luck next time. If it all comes together you will be up at the sharp end.
    Lancslad