Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lingmell Dash

Master
    I got an entry for this race two days before and knew I'd be rubbish at it but thought it would be a good training day out. I decided as a bit of an experiment to carry on up the track and then loop round. I was 15 seconds behind Simon Bailey at the point he turned to go up. At the top stile I was about 70 seconds behind.

If you look at the film at just before 8 minutes you'll see me way on up the track but at the stile I was in about 19th place. I went a lot further around than both the Calder lads but arrived at the stile in front of them. They were doing ok but started to doubt themselves and so slowed down. They should have stuck to it and they would have been in contention.

It's difficult to say how much difference it would have made if I'd gone the short steeper way. Maybe 30 seconds or so.
    Last edited by CL; 30-07-2015 at 11:56 PM.

It is always interesting to read your posts CL.

The shortest route was to turn up before Simon etc did over muddy/rocky ground. Difficult to run up over but if you are "walking" certainly shorter. Maybe only a matter of yards but then gaining the odd place or two is always good because "winning is mostly in your head".

This direct line was more obvious on the return looking down but would not have been as firm or clear underfoot as looping more to the left but, as so often, line choice depends on how good you are on different terrain.

Being old and slow I took the shortest lines!

A good film!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Once again, Holmfirth's master lensman Norman Berry was out & about at the weekend. Here are the links to the ladies & mens races.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hhac/s...57654226312414

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hhac/s...57656162187218

As usual, if you use any photos for reports, publications etc, please acknowledge him.

Cheers,
    Phil
    Ian Roberts Fell Race. Dare you take on the Marsden Moor Tussocks? There's cake in it for you

I've do both lines in the Scafell pike race and there is nowt in it time wise easier running on the track though.
    Did the cut off route at Lingmell this time?
    WOODZY.

Quote Originally Posted by fellephant View Post
    Cheers for the link.

Having only just watched this video I now see that myself and Daz K's line was clearly not the best!...though it didn't seem too bad initially on the day, after analysing it I slipped from 1st to 33rd and lost 90 seconds in 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by RhosgadMath View Post
    Having only just watched this video I now see that myself and Daz K's line was clearly not the best!...though it didn't seem too bad initially on the day, after analysing it I slipped from 1st to 33rd and lost 90 seconds in 5 minutes.
    Didn't make the slightest difference to my race Math, Heart didn't want to play so an already bad day went only slightly worse! you can get your revenge at Guisborough!
    Darren Kay.
    Calder Valley

Some pics from the day, before & after the race, including the results. Scroll down & click to enlarge. I came last due to my wife giving me race number 13.

http://fellephant.com/?page_id=2387