Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mid winter BGR splits

Bobert

Re: Mid winter BGR splits

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    Wonder if having a set of those running shoe crampons is worth it for the round?
    Not used the Khatoola spikes (Full Moon Addict has) but have a set of Yaks that i bought in the Alps. Very light and pack small. I carry them during mid week and weekend winter runs in the Lakes and was thinking of carrying them for a mid winter solo BG, just in case.

As regards schedules and timings, not too sure yet. But glad you've started this thread. Will keep a check on this one.
    Last edited by Bobert; 14-07-2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: missing text

ST

I've PMed you - I've plenty of notes and reflections from my round last year.

Agree with you about GC - I did it in 38 minutes despite gale force winds over the tops that meant it was difficult to stand up across Skiddaw.

FSS

I have a copy of Martin Stone's solo winter splits.

If this info isn't with whatever Headless sends you, PM me with your email address and I will forward you a copy.

And I ought to mention that Headless went up Lord's Rake last December. It was quite snowed up and we made rapid progress.

Morgan
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

[QUOTE=Bobert;238885]Not used the Khatoola spikes (Full Moon Addict has) but have a set of Yaks that i bought in the Alps. Very light and pack small. I carry them during mid week and weekend winter runs in the Lakes and was thinking of carrying them for a mid winter solo BG, just in case.

QUOTE]

two of our group used them to great effect, they had the steel version as the alli version wear out on mixed ground (but are much lighter)

I used a pair of old salewa 12 pt strap ons

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    FSS

I have a copy of Martin Stone's solo winter splits.

If this info isn't with whatever Headless sends you, PM me with your email address and I will forward you a copy.

And I ought to mention that Headless went up Lord's Rake last December. It was quite snowed up and we made rapid progress.

Morgan

I'd be happy to receive anything you have that would be useful - and grateful too, thanks. Haven't been up lord's rake for years (did you also go p the west wall traverse?) - must go and reaquaint myself with that if it's safe (rockfall??)

As it is i'm off to the dolomites now for 10 days, looking forward to gettng the training in....

THanks
    ST

Quote Originally Posted by Headless View Post
    ST

I've PMed you - I've plenty of notes and reflections from my round last year.

Agree with you about GC - I did it in 38 minutes despite gale force winds over the tops that meant it was difficult to stand up across Skiddaw.

Thanks HL, have responded

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Well on the 19th its the forum 'xmas on the fells'.

Now, either we could all do one huge supported leg with you....if it was anything like last year you'd have 20+ on the leg.

Or depending on how fit/tired/early/late/lazy we all are some of us might be able to do a leg after the xmas on the fells run.

Just an idea......dont know how it would work out though.

SOunds like a laugh! I'll publish my schedule on here when i've sorted it and we'll see how it pans out!

ST
    I'd recommend metal studded orienteering shoes over running crampons.
    I run in Jalas Black
    I used these in February on ice and neve, they were fantastic. You still need to take care but in varuied conditions of neve, ice, snow, grass, rock then they allow you to keep going without stopping to change - with crampons you could be stopping to change all the time

Cheers Andy, had a look at those shoes and they look the business. Do Innov8 still do a version of the mudclaw that has dabs in them?

not sure
    I think I'd heard the dobs tended to come out of Innov8
    I can vouch for this not happening with o'shoes
    the leading brands are all Finnish, and I guess they know a bit about how to secure metal studs in rubber (!!) - no, I mean studded winter tyres for cars & bikes.