Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: South Wales Traverse

Re: South Wales Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    When Toff and I had a look at this section, we used a bit of forest trail first and then picked up the track that plunges pretty much straight down to the road. The last bit is a bit sketchy but if you keep straight on down you hit the road about 100m below the car park.
    The key is the right entry point off the open fell, through a gate onto a track, following the track SOUTH for a bit before turning back NORTH on the high forest trail. The track leading off this is on the apex of a left hand curve and when we were there, someone had helpfully marked the exit with some logs forming an arrow.
    The route I last looked at was as attached, a bit more complicated than your description but the same idea, and under 30 mins. IIRC, the obvious straight-on at SO248277 wasn't passable - should we have tried harder?

Re Tops selection, I think this was based on 2000ft with 50ft drop, but using old 1 inch maps, so some look a bit strange on modern mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys View Post
    The summit selection can seem a bit perverse and includes some really insignificant tops, however, all the summits are over 610m (2000ft) - Foel Fraith is 602m, so not included for that reason.
    The summits are taken from George Bridge's 1973 tables of 2000 footers.
    At the time they were regarded as the standard peak-bagging lists. They have since been superceded by Nuttall' lists.

Quote Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MAN View Post
    They have since been superceded by Nuttall' lists.
    But the original summits should of course be visited. Although any with peakbagging instincts would wish to visit the true highpoints too.

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    But the original summits should of course be visited. Although any with peakbagging instincts would wish to visit the true highpoints too.
    I can see quite a few extra tops coming in Rob
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    Yiannis
    He can't help himself
    Bill

[QUOTE=RobW;186216]The route I last looked at was as attached, a bit more complicated than your description but the same idea, and under 30 mins. IIRC, the obvious straight-on at SO248277 wasn't passable - should we have tried harder?

I cannot check on my map as it is on the top shelf and my arm won't currently reach that far without me falling off my crutch, however my recollection is that after the S/N zig-zag take the line down as marked from that little apex, then just keep going down, do not deviate, go straight on, it was easily passable when we did it. Doubtless we will go for a jog there in the summer, just to check....

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Oh yes definitely - The South Wales Traverse is/are the summits which Derek Fisher/Andy Lewsley completed. If someone wants to do a traverse of the Nuttalls that would be a different (but similar) route. Although I have not analysed the differences I am sure all the major tops will be the same.

Yiannis
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    He can't help himself
    I think I may somewhere have a version with lots of added Deweys etc

And a sane version with minor diversions to take in the true highpoints

my recollection is that after the S/N zig-zag take the line down as marked from that little apex, then just keep going down, do not deviate, go straight on, it was easily passable when we did it.
    Thanks for that, Toffer
    Rob

Support at Cwm-gu

Is it possible to park a car here, SH200209, before Black Mts section? It appears on the gofar schedule so I guess it is?

Ta - Rob

Yup, all manner of vehicles have parked here over the years, well known support stop before the last section, then up the road, track to right up PCC. When are you parking?