Thread: Ras Yr Aran

Re: Ras Yr Aran

This was tough especially in the heat I underestimated
    this having not raced for6 months. I also missed quad track on descent

Re: Ras Yr Aran

Quote Originally Posted by N-dubya View Post
    This was tough especially in the heat I underestimated
    this having not raced for6 months. I also missed quad track on descent
    I certainly found it tough too; had nothing left after the summit so my descent was more like a fast walk! Lovely weather though, even if us Brits are not used to the heat!

Ras yr Aran Race Pictures

Hi All

Ras yr Aran Race Pictures can be seen here: :w00t:

http://www.sportpicturescymru.co.uk/rasyraran2012.html

Thanks
    Gwynfor James

Attachment 5909

Re: Ras yr Aran

Race Cancelled.
    Ras yr Aran Race, Saturday, 23 March.
    Sorry, but due to severe weather Ras yr Aran Race has been cancelled.
    http://www.run-meirionnydd.co.uk/

At race Registration a detailed weather report made for grim reading. Red hazard warnings give strong winds with a chill factor of -14. Not forgetting to mention possible white out conditions. This was going to be interesting and I was quite relieved when I realised I wasn't the only stranger to the area after spotting familiar faces from Pennine, Rossendale and Barlick. Also it was good to see fellow FRA nav course attendee from last week, Ste Toogood.
    Just before the race is about to start the organiser tells us the course is to be shortened on the advice of the Mountain Rescue guys at the summit. Apparently the final climb up towards the summit is treacherous with deep snow, ice and very strong winds. The original route is 10 miles, today we ran 7.5 miles. On leaving the fields and hitting the steep fellside it soon becomes apparent why the shorten route is enforced. The snow starts to get deeper with every footstep and visibility starts to become a problem. I followed footsteps in the snow for a few 100yrds at one point when the lads in front went out of sight.
    On arriving at the new summit I started closing in on the runners who's footsteps I'd been following. I thought I was descending well until Chris(Athers) came flying past... Top descending mate. There is a proper buzz to be had when blasting down foot deep snow on a mountain side alien to me, then occasionally seeing partially hidden rocks brings you back down to reality.
    The last field on heavy snow sapped legs was tough going and I was happy with 11th. Talking to Chris after the race he said I'd run quicker if I lost the beard, it must weigh 2 lbs. He may have a point but my face never felt the wind chill.
    In summary this is a cracking race that I will be returning to for the full course in better weather. Thanks to all involved and hats off to the Mountain Rescue guys for keeping us safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    At race Registration a detailed weather report made for grim reading. Red hazard warnings give strong winds with a chill factor of -14. Not forgetting to mention possible white out conditions. This was going to be interesting and I was quite relieved when I realised I wasn't the only stranger to the area after spotting familiar faces from Pennine, Rossendale and Barlick. Also it was good to see fellow FRA nav course attendee from last week, Ste Toogood.
    Just before the race is about to start the organiser tells us the course is to be shortened on the advice of the Mountain Rescue guys at the summit. Apparently the final climb up towards the summit is treacherous with deep snow, ice and very strong winds. The original route is 10 miles, today we ran 7.5 miles. On leaving the fields and hitting the steep fellside it soon becomes apparent why the shorten route is enforced. The snow starts to get deeper with every footstep and visibility starts to become a problem. I followed footsteps in the snow for a few 100yrds at one point when the lads in front went out of sight.
    On arriving at the new summit I started closing in on the runners who's footsteps I'd been following. I thought I was descending well until Chris(Athers) came flying past... Top descending mate. There is a proper buzz to be had when blasting down foot deep snow on a mountain side alien to me, then occasionally seeing partially hidden rocks brings you back down to reality.
    The last field on heavy snow sapped legs was tough going and I was happy with 11th. Talking to Chris after the race he said I'd run quicker if I lost the beard, it must weigh 2 lbs. He may have a point but my face never felt the wind chill.
    In summary this is a cracking race that I will be returning to for the full course in better weather. Thanks to all involved and hats off to the Mountain Rescue guys for keeping us safe.
    Cracking race shame it was shortened, but it was a sensible decision! It were Baltic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Cracking race shame it was shortened, but it was a sensible decision! It were Baltic!!
    Aye.. I'm normally against shortened races but the top of Yr Aran is lethal. I did it back in 09? and we ran to the first main summit (sounds like the same course) and that was a brave enough call, the actual summit proper would have been too dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Aye.. I'm normally against shortened races but the top of Yr Aran is lethal. I did it back in 09? and we ran to the first main summit (sounds like the same course) and that was a brave enough call, the actual summit proper would have been too dangerous.
    Apparently it was sheet ice up on that ridge! It was challenging enough with out the main summit in those conditions yesterday. A great race though - I'll definitely be back next year.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Tindersticks View Post
    Cheers Daz, was a good race in the end. Yu went well. Did have a moment at the turnaround where i thought glad we're not going up any higher. Snow was a killer. Made it fun for the descent though. Think i managed to make up about 6/7 places due to some sensible down hilling from most.
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

thinking of doing this one on Saturday

does anybody know whether there's any snow up at the top?
    whether the race might be shortened?
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run