Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waterproofing Pertex

david

Re: Waterproofing Pertex

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    Not all this "waterproof" stuff again?? Waterproof is not important. It's windproof that matters! ..... and Pertex is. Ish.
    Very ish in my experience. I do agree about windproof being more important than waterproof but if the race organisation demands waterproof then surely pertex isn't going to pass a kit check?

Fellhound

But like I've said before, I can't see how organisers can stipulate "waterproof" unless they go to the lengths of demanding a British Standards kitemark, which would surely be going too far! As anyone knows, even if the FABRIC meets the BSI standard for "waterproof" there is no such thing as a waterproof GARMENT.

david

I agree and I'm really just playing devil's advocate here but it is well known that pertex doesn't even pretend to be waterproof so I could see it being rejected in a kit check, nikwaxed or not.

Pertex when soaked is worse than useless as it just flaps around and I don't see what advantage it has over a waterproof Montane H2O jacket at 115g. Montane h2o for the bumbag when you start off in the dry but want to take something just in case and a very lightweight event or goretex if you start off in the rain. Montane do a 300g event jacket ( a company in Canada do a 250g one with a hood) and Haglofs have just come out with a 190g goretex paclite smock.

Quote Originally Posted by marrow View Post
    Thanks IanDarkPeak.

I am not sure I understand the no on the nikwax approach - can you explain that again? Cheers
    Hi Marrow
    Will PM you with details later
    Ian

FellMonster

I ve been wondering what kind of waterproof windprrof gear is the best myself. I carry a Nike windproof jacket in my back but its bloody heavy and my bumbug always looks far bigger than anyone else's.....AND im only a little boy in comaprison. I was looking at runners starting Edale last week, and saw Simon Bailey wearing what looked like an extremely lightweight and flourescent jacket (it looked paper thin!!) and was wondering where to get something similar. Saying that, my big Nike beast as good as it is, still didnt stop me catching my death of the cold up Brown Knoll.