Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted - Borrowdale fell entry

Re: Wanted - Borrowdale fell e

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Stolly

Given your advice to lie about running experience, does that mean we should treat "Stolly's running adventures" as a work of fiction?
    Enid Blyton at her best

Perhaps they could both disqualify the person who has taken the the number and ban the person giving away the number from the race in question in the future if they have breached the organisers rules?
    Is there not a reserve list for Borrowdale like Ben Nevis, i had to pull out of that, contacted the organiser and my place was passed on to someone on that list who met the entry requirements, seems the best way to do things right.
    Hills and Guinness!

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    I'm not trying to disagree with your strongly held views, and this is just me being cheekily contrary, but being experienced in fell races has never seemed much help in protecting me from serious injury. The dying bit could equally happen on a long solo run too, so you could argue running in a race in safer. And you can reasonably expect to become exhausted one way or the other
    So you are saying that experience (such as judging a line over rough terrain, descending on scree etc) doesn't count for anything at all then. So anyone can just turn up, run a race and have the same chances at success or injury as everyone else, sounds a bit naive to me?

Enid Blyton at her best
    Pictures are better in EB and there is a plot and girls , even if in the famous 5 one of them wants to be a boy.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocial View Post
    pictures Are Better In Eb And There Is A Plot And Girls , Even If In The Famous 5 One Of Them Wants To Be A Boy.
    Haha

So you are saying that experience (such as judging a line over rough terrain, descending on scree etc) doesn't count for anything at all then. So anyone can just turn up, run a race and have the same chances at success or injury as everyone else, sounds a bit naive to me?
    No - my side of the argument isn't really sensible at all. But there again running in the fells, especially over the crap that Borrowdale drags you over, isn't meant to be sensible (is it?).

My first ever fell race was the 3 peaks in 2004 I think. My experience at the time was that I'd run the route (very very badly) on my own a few months previously. On the day I didn't even realise that the race route went straight up Whernside! And yes it was a stupid thing to do and I was a train wreck at the end

Still, glad that I did it (and no at the time I did not lie to the race organisers).
    Last edited by Stolly; 28-07-2009 at 11:14 AM.

No - my side of the argument isn't really sensible at all. But there again running in the fells, especially over the crap that Borrowdale drags you over, isn't meant to be sensible (is it?).

My first ever fell race was the 3 peaks in 2004 I think. My experience at the time was that I'd run the route (very very badly) on my own a few months previously. On the day I didn't even realise that the race route went straight up Whernside! And yes it was a stupid thing to do and I was a train wreck at the end

Still, glad that I did it (and no at the time I did not lie to the race organisers).
    How did you meet the entry criteria, or did they bring it in because of people like you?

How did you meet the entry criteria, or did they bring it in because of people like you?
    Good point. Its almost certainly all my fault.

At the time the race qualification criteria weren't so stringent as it happens. I actually emailed and then called one of the race organisers, told them that I'd run the route before (but was economic with the truth as to quite how I fared) and that I felt I'd be able to run a 4:30 ish time - had I not collapsed from heat exhaustion and raging thirst about half a mile from the end in the race, I would have probably actually done a 4:40 so it wasn't an incredibly bad exaggeration as things turned out. I eventually crawled across the line in 4:54 or something I think. They let me run, that was the main thing.

Nowadays the long races are to an extent going over the top in the race experience stuff I think. Yes its better to have run other suitable races, especially in the Lakes where the ground is terrifying at times and yes mountain experience really helps. Sooner or later though you have to get that experience one way or the other.

Bobert

If i get an entry, i plan to email the organiser with my experience. If they say no, then fair enough. Don't plan to cheat or be dishonest. Never done borrowdale tho so not too sure how i'll do over this distance. Also will there be refreshments halfway round?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    If i get an entry, i plan to email the organiser with my experience. If they say no, then fair enough. Don't plan to cheat or be dishonest. Never done borrowdale tho so not too sure how i'll do over this distance. Also will there be refreshments halfway round?

Plenty of streams to fill up on