Thread: Race calendar + usability

Race calendar + usability

I'm guessing I'm not alone in being just a little bit excited to get the FRA calendar through the post each year and then looking at races I'd like to have a go at over the coming year. This year I've gone to the trouble of compiling a Google calendar for my club with all the races I think are feasible to travel to or are big enough to warrant a special trip. In compiling this calendar I found I was copying and pasting data from one screen (http://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php) to another (my google calendar).

Would it be possible for whomever manages the FRA web pages to put in a feature such as this: https://addthisevent.com/ ? That way next to each race in the table I could just click on the one I'd like to add and stick it in my calendar without all the faff. I'm sure I would't be the only person to find this useful and I'd be happy to help implement it.

Any thoughts on this webmaster/ Race calendar owner?

Anybody else reading this think it would be useful?

Thanks,

I do the same for my own google calendar - cut, paste; navigate repeat. I've got to June...
    publishing the private ical would be enough I think, as you can then copy to my calendar the ones you want in your calendar.

Phew, I'm not alone That would be totally ideal, but I think it'd mean changing the current website which works pretty well. (unless they were done in tandem so you could either search through the site or look at a public iCal - perfect) The website looks like it is currently populated into a database and then presented back as a table to the user, I thought that the button above suggested would be set up so it knows which bits from the DB going in which fields in an iCal entry, then you press the button, get a completed "add entry" and you just need to select which calendar you want it to go into - I figured the above was the least effort, but anything that gives me a way to quickly add it to my calendar I'll be very happy.

If the decision is taken to populate and share as public calendars then creating ones based upon the region would be great too; i.e., Wales - North, Wales - South, England - North West, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheenis View Post
    Phew, I'm not alone That would be totally ideal, but I think it'd mean changing the current website which works pretty well. (unless they were done in tandem so you could either search through the site or look at a public iCal - perfect) The website looks like it is currently populated into a database and then presented back as a table to the user, I thought that the button above suggested would be set up so it knows which bits from the DB going in which fields in an iCal entry, then you press the button, get a completed "add entry" and you just need to select which calendar you want it to go into - I figured the above was the least effort, but anything that gives me a way to quickly add it to my calendar I'll be very happy.

If the decision is taken to populate and share as public calendars then creating ones based upon the region would be great too; i.e., Wales - North, Wales - South, England - North West, etc.
    Send a PM to FRA fixtures or Marvin suggesting it, or send him an email, it's in the hand book. I would imagine Andy uses something similar to bring the calendar together