Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gritstone Tryal

Re: Gritstone Tryal July 2010

Great day out
    I have never run around there before and really enjoyed the views and company I had (shame the wheels came off after control 7 - thanks for the concern from those who passed me) Swop I thought it was you I chatted to re route choice before we set off.
    Thanks Ian - I will look out for it next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ruck View Post
    Aye a smashing event... was glad to finally find CP1.
    Thanks very much Swoop for the company and the words of encouragement on the final hill.
    I'll be back for more next year.
    Thanks for your company and support Tim. We did over 15 miles and 3000 feet!

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Great day out
    I have never run around there before and really enjoyed the views and company I had (shame the wheels came off after control 7 - thanks for the concern from those who passed me) Swoop I thought it was you I chatted to re route choice before we set off.
    We found it a hard slog back from control 7 but just managed to dip under 4 hours (most of that spent on the first control!)

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Thanks for your company and support Tim. We did over 15 miles and 3000 feet!
    Nice one mate.
    Did the 3000ft include my climb up to the Shutlingsloe trig?

Tim

Nice one mate.

Tim
    You are a glutton for punnishment Tim!!

Yes another well organised event Ian, thanks. This was my 6th outing so 100% to date. Always good fun and great company. The cunning 1st control caught out all the headless chickens including myself. After about 25mins Ian was coming out to collect the control back when he met me climbing back up to the view point. After using the compass I found the hidden path and got going at last across ground I know really well. I managed to claw my way back to 4th place 2hrs 35ish.
    If you enjoyed this event have a go at the Gritstone any time challenge. See details on the thread under Long distance challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    The cunning 1st control caught out all the headless chickens including myself. After about 25mins Ian was coming out to collect the control back when he met me climbing back up to the view point. After using the compass I found the hidden path and got going at last across ground I know really well.
    If you went down to the bottom of the hill you could have picked up the bottom of the track and followed it easily back to the control. Unfortunately I didn't do that. I ran down the correct path, thought it was the wrong one so turned off through brambles and bracken looking for the right one, dropped right over the path with the control and ended up on the path 100 foot below the control, realised where I was, and climbed up through waist high brambles and bushes to the right path, where I too found Ian who I am sure had walked to the first control. You should see the scratches on my legs - and they still smart!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    You should see the scratches on my legs - and they still smart!
    Think most of us looked like we had been savaged by wild beasts - my legs certainly stung when I got into the bath on Sunday evening and I got away lightly!

Great event - first time I have done it but I'll certainly be back - thanks to Staffs Moorlands for organising it.

I've been looking at the Gritstone Anytime Challenge - think I'll have to give it a go some time.

Nice one mate.
    Tim
    No. You can add a bit more on!

Great event and thanks Ian and team for organising. Being as the course was as it were in my own back yard, I was very conscious that I'd better not mess up on the navigation. That first control was a bit naughty but I somehow managed to hit it first time. This made a huge difference to my overall time and I'm sure that without local knowledge I would have been floundering around like so many others. Aye well that's the nature of the game.

Thanks again.