Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Care to join me?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Care to join me?

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Nice one, look forward to it on sunday.

What sort of mileage we looking at?
    Just from staring at the map a bit (not even got a scale) I'll have a guess at 9.5 - 11mi and 2,750-3,250 ft of climb. Be interesting to see what the Garmin says.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Another cracking run, over some new territory for me! Conditions were poor to put it mildly, but warmish none the less.

Good to meet Rachel and Stolly!

Cheers for planning the route SS, look forward to the Cloughs recce one weekend.

yeeeeeee-haaaaaaaaaaar!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wanted my 1st ever post on here to be mindbogglingly meaningful but the run we had today says it all-
    great recce great forumites great run
    I can't believe I asked "so which hill is that then?" Will never live it down!!
    Thanks to ukhursty and SS (and Stolly-I checked your car was back home when I passed!!) I really enjoyed it -thanks a million.
    Here's to the next one........
    Rachel

I'm going to get out on one of these days at some point Gary when i'm fit enough, it's like some sort of fantastic new rollercoaster that i can't ride because i'm too short.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Good run today guys thanks as ever for your company. Run details below:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/17743739
    12.07mi 2,985ft

Bit of a Pendle Cloughs/Tour of Pendle 'mash-up', as the young uns would say. Slightly different to the planned route, but conditions on the top were not conducive to picking out new lines to checkpoints that weren't really there.

Using the M1 scale of grimness, where J1 is not-grim at all, and J48 is very very grim indeed* I reckon this was J42. Wind you could properly lean back on and have your weight supported, rain driven into you to the point it felt like hail. All great fun.

Stolly hope you found the lee you needed, but from running round the hill, there didn't seem to be a 'lee-side' anywhere!!

Run was supposed to be to around various Pendle Cloughs (PC) and Tour of Pendle (TOP) checkpoints as follows (those points missed in [brackets])

Barley
    PC4
    PC3
    [TOP9]
    TOP8
    [PC2 - replaced by TOP6]
    [PC6 - replaced by TOP5]
    TOP2 - unplanned addition
    TOP3
    [PC5]
    TOP4/11
    Up Fell Wood
    Barley

If you look at the route map - and squint - it looks vaguely witch shaped!! As it turned out, we also threw in a few hill reps up the banking of Lower Ogden Reservoir. Great way to finish off!!

*Beyond J48 and, indeed, over the border, is a level of grimness that can only be contemplated conceptually by grimologists.
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 02-11-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Yeah great run chaps (and chapess) and sorry I had to wimp out early. I've definitely got a bug that's for sure and unfortunately heading back down to Barley from the trig there was definitely no lee to 'shelter' in. It was full on into the wind and horizontal rain. Mission accomplished though when I got back to the car park .

And Rachel I made it home okay, although I very nearly conked out driving through a huge puddle/lake on the road to gisburn. And sorry it suddenly clicked you used to teach my 'little darling' Lauren French and Spanish didn't you?

UKHursty and I are heading off to Wycoller at 0800 this Sunday for a recce of the Boulsworth race the following weekend. Care to join us?

For ease, we're meeting up at the country park car park on the Haworth road.

See you there.

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    UKHursty and I are heading off to Wycoller at 0800 this Sunday for a recce of the Boulsworth race the following weekend. Care to join us?

For ease, we're meeting up at the country park car park on the Haworth road.

See you there.
    Hi all. Another newbie.

Been mooching around the forums for a couple of weeks now and have learned a heck of a lot from its contributors whilst being highly entertained in the process.

Took the plunge to register, as I was wondering if you are still planning on doing this recce Southernsoftie and if you wouldn't mind me tagging along. Started running a couple of months ago and fancy doing this as my very first race but completely wet behind the ears when it comes to fell running or running in general for that matter

Would appreciate benefiting from your experience rather than doing a trial on my todd but would fully understand if I would hold you back.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
    Hi all. Another newbie.

Been mooching around the forums for a couple of weeks now and have learned a heck of a lot from its contributors whilst being highly entertained in the process.

Took the plunge to register, as I was wondering if you are still planning on doing this recce Southernsoftie and if you wouldn't mind me tagging along. Started running a couple of months ago and fancy doing this as my very first race but completely wet behind the ears when it comes to fell running or running in general for that matter

Would appreciate benefiting from your experience rather than doing a trial on my todd but would fully understand if I would hold you back.
    You'll probably be more than welcome regardless of your pace, a recce is as far as i'm aware usually done at the pace of the slowest. I walk mine rather than run, prefer to take some binoculars and examine the topography of the area closely. Think SS runs his though.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Chubbs, sorry for taking so long to post back, been DIYing all day! Course you're welcome to come along. UKH and I are meeting at the Wycoller picnic site immediately off the Colne-Haworth rd.

Recces aren't always done at the pace of the slowest, depends who's taking them I guess, but as Brightside says, we do run. I like my Sun morning runs to be a social thing. That and the fact this is a completely new route will mean we won't be mega-quick and we'll be happy to wait if needs be. (Give us a chance for a breather!)
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 07-11-2009 at 10:32 PM.