Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic "What's fellruning?" Q's

Question Basic "What's fellruning?" Q's

Hi guys, (Yep, I know theres an 'N' missing in the title.....)
    I'd say these are newby questions, but they're more likely sub-newby questions

I'm a relative newby to running, full stop. Started last November with a local club. Doing club runs 3x per week plus bike rides. Completed a few 10ks mainly trail and this weekend doing my first 10 miler, road.

I want to have plenty of variety in my training/events and had been looking at triathlons, but thought I'd check out fell running as well. Found a few vids on Youtube (Hallam Chase and The Trunce mainly) which have piqued my curiosity. Then saw Snowdon and a few more

So, looking round I've found it a bit difficult finding the 'rules', which I'm hoping someone can explain or point me in the right direction.

Whats the different classification mean? 'M', 'L' etc I guess thats medium and long? but what's the rules as to what M or L actually is and what other classes are there?

Do you have to navigate each race or are they marshalled and how do you tell?

How do you know what equipment to take? Are there different requirements for different races/classes?

As you might guess from my questions, theres a lack of interest in fell running in the club I'm in.

Thanks in anticipation guys

No doubt there'll be more questions, but I figure thats enough to start with...

Re: Basic "What's fellruning?"

Rules and safety guidlines here, on the right under contacts, just click on em for a pdf
    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/committee.htm
    Welcome to the forum mate
    Hills and Guinness!

Hi Vi(n)ce,

It can all seem a bit of a black art, til you do your first race, then it all makes perfect sense (maybe). Rules are fortunately kept to a minimum, but the FRAs rules are here http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/committee.htm

The required equipment varies from race to race, and according to the weather. Get yourself a bumbag and a lightweight waterproof top and that will be fine until the weather deteriorates or you go into the mountains. Navigation is a good skill to have, but in reality you'll get by following people (until the weather deteriorates or you go into the mountains)

The best thing you can do is have a look at the race calender (front page, fellrunner.org.uk), pick a race you like the look of, and do it. Get to know some of the runners, and you'll soon pick up tips/ get an understanding of the sport.

Good luck, let us know how you get on, and I'm sure we can offer lots of unhelpful advice

Ta guys,
    Now to find out if 'The Trunce' is suitable as a first race..?
    I think its about 10 days away?

No vice, the wikipedia page on fell running isn't bad as an introduction

Whats the different classification mean? 'M', 'L' etc I guess thats medium and long? but what's the rules as to what M or L actually is and what other classes are there?

S, M and L are length classifications: up to 6 miles, more than 6 and more than 12.
    A, B, and C are ascent grades: As have most ascent-per-mile, Cs least.

So you could say the 'toughest' races are ALs - but just as in road racing, shorter races get run faster, and some people find that harder.

It's worth bearing in mind, 6 miles can feel a long way on the fells, expecially if it's an A category ...

It is fair to say that ALs (Lakeland Classics for instance, and ones in the Scottish Highlands) tend to require mountain experience and navigational sense.

Do you have to navigate each race or are they marshalled and how do you tell?

Unlike trail races fellraces aren't marked except short stretches at start and finish, but they are marshalled. Marshalls are normally on the peaks you have to cross and will note the numbers of runners so they double as checkpoints.

As long as you pass through those checkpoints you can take whatever route you like in between, although over the years runners have figured out the best way. Often the leaders will know it, so it can become a bit of follow-me-leader. Also you can buy race maps that have pretty much the best route on them.

In shorter races you never lose sight of other runners. In ALs you can have 5 miles between checkpoints so there's plenty of scope to go wrong - especially in bad weather.

How do you know what equipment to take? Are there different requirements for different races/classes?

9 EQUIPMENT
    Competitors should arrive at races prepared to carry any or all of the following equipment:
    a) Windproof whole body cover.
    b) Other body cover appropriate for the weather conditions.
    c) Map and compass suitable for navigating the course.
    d) Whistle.
    e) Emergency food (long races).

These requirements constitute "best practice" and are mandatory at all Category A Long and Medium races.
    However any race organiser is free to impose additional safety requirements (e.g. waterproof as distinct from windproof whole body cover) and competitors must be prepared to accept such requirements as a condition of race entry.
    In the event of settled fine weather, confirmed by a local weather report, the organiser may decide to waive some of the above requirements for races of other categories.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 08-08-2009 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by No vice View Post
    Ta guys,
    4.25m/550ft sounds a good un to start with, just turn up, run and enjoy it.
    I did my first fell race in 2007, the Stoodley Pike 3.5m/700ft, knew nothing about fell running, came from a Mountain Biking background and wanted to do the 3 Peaks Cyclocross. A friend suggested doing some fell running as training.
    Since then fell running has got a grip on me, joined the Fell Ponies, met some great people, joined the forum, met some more great people, virtually and in the flesh. Then i got Bob Graham fever and started building up my training and racing distance, completed the Fellsman this year 61m/11000ft and aiming for a BG next june.
    The great thing about this sport is, you can do as much or as little as you want, you meet a great bunch of characters and have a good crack, and the sights you see are inspiring, as are all the runners.
    Just pick your races, ask advice, everyone will help you, and enjoy this great sport, don't worry about where you finish or races times, enjoyment, challenges and a pint with mates after a race is why i do it, oh, and like to waffle a lot on here.

All the best No vice
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by No vice View Post
    Ta guys,
    Hi NV

Trunce is dead easy to do, do kit requirements, just turn up. It is run by the forumite Plumbum with help from Kingsnail and one or two others.

However PB is on hols next trunce so there will be one or two others helping out.Turn up a little earlier than usual and I will see you there. (maybe at registration(dark peak vest)

Short fast and furious

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/join.htm

Consider joining the FRA - it's dirt cheap - you get an annual copy of the calendar each year and the Fellrunner Magazine which comes out 3 times a year and is packed with stuff - you cannot buy it, but it would cost over a fiver if it was available at your newsagents.

There's loads of advise in there, race reports which give you a feel for the event.

Also keep on the forum. You'll pick up tips, race maps, and even get a little abuse every now and again

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Hi NV

Trunce is dead easy to do, do kit requirements, just turn up. It is run by the forumite Plumbum with help from Kingsnail and one or two others.

However PB is on hols next trunce so there will be one or two others helping out.Turn up a little earlier than usual and I will see you there. (maybe at registration(dark peak vest)
    Ta, majority of 'The Club' are over in North Wales on 16th, therefore it looks like there'll be no local Sunday Club run.
    So it looks like doing the Trunce on the 17th just falls right! Might even be my first proper run after doing Askern 10 miler tomorrow

Hmmm... FRA, looks interesting.. Being a true Yorkshireman tho', I might wait till October 1st Should be able to sample a couple of races by then.

No Vice, just read 'Feet in the Clouds' - if that doesn't give you the bug, nothing will. Its a bit Bob Graham Round focused but, even so, it really gets to bottom of the nutty obsessive nature of running in the hills