Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: English Championships

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    I think the underlying problem is that most of our (Pennine) members don't register with EA because they don't need to so when they join, say Buxton, to run XC they then are registered with EA and end up as first claim for Buxton for all disciplines. The workaround is to register with EA for Pennine first then the other club second, effectively first claim for all but fell
    Dave Bowen, secretary Pennine.
    The workaround is fine, but what about those currently in the situation?
    Thinking about Nat and Simon C - both historical Pennine members who have joined Buxton for XC and therefore you would assume are EA-registerded with Buxton. Mark Pursell was a buxton member then joined Pennine for Fell, so I'd assume stuff may be in order for him
    Interestingly, searching them on powerof10.info, Nat comes up as Pennine, Simon and Mark as Buxton/Pennine.
    As all 3 have run Relays and champs races for Pennine in the past I'd hope (...) they'd be counted as Pennine by the FRA, though EA/BA may think differently.

I know Peter Bray had this issue trying to represent Ambleside on the Fells and Chorlton elsewhere. The FRA were fine with this (he ran the HBMR for Ambleside) but BA weren't and he wasn't able to run the British Fell Relays.

If stuff like this is going to be an issue, to be eligible for a certain club for the first champs race (11 March), paperwork would have to be with EA by very early Feb, the change taking affect by early March (the changes board meets early in each month, new clubs taking effect from the start of the next month).

If this is the case, it would have been much better for the FRA to raise this earlier (say November) to give some time to get all the faff sorted (though an email may have gone around clubs at that time?). Otherwise, we could end up in a similar situation to the Womens' champs this year but not through personal/club staff oversight.

I'm hoping that:
    1. English championships are under FRA control, not EA, so there's time to sort everything before EA/BA-controlled races start (British champs? Def. British Fell Relays.
    2. I'm overthinking this massively!
    Last edited by ba-ba; 26-01-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    The workaround is fine, but what about those currently in the situation?
    Thinking about Nat and Simon C - both historical Pennine members who have joined Buxton for XC and therefore you would assume are EA-registerded with Buxton. Mark Pursell was a buxton member then joined Pennine for Fell, so I'd assume stuff may be in order for him
    Interestingly, searching them on powerof10.info, Nat comes up as Pennine, Simon and Mark as Buxton/Pennine.
    As all 3 have run Relays and champs races for Pennine in the past I'd hope (...) they'd be counted as Pennine by the FRA, though EA/BA may think differently.

I know Peter Bray had this issue trying to represent Ambleside on the Fells and Chorlton elsewhere. The FRA were fine with this (he ran the HBMR for Ambleside) but BA weren't and he wasn't able to run the British Fell Relays.

If stuff like this is going to be an issue, to be eligible for a certain club for the first champs race (11 March), paperwork would have to be with EA by very early Feb, the change taking affect by early March (the changes board meets early in each month, new clubs taking effect from the start of the next month).

If this is the case, it would have been much better for the FRA to raise this earlier (say November) to give some time to get all the faff sorted (though an email may have gone around clubs at that time?). Otherwise, we could end up in a similar situation to the Womens' champs this year but not through personal/club staff oversight.

I'm hoping that:
    1. English championships are under FRA control, not EA, so there's time to sort everything before EA/BA-controlled races start (British champs? Def. British Fell Relays.
    2. I'm overthinking this massively!
    As somebody presently in the middle of a club transfer process, I would say that even early Feb is cutting it very fine to get things in place for March 11th. I started early December and I'm told by the eligibility committee that I won't get confirmation until the beginning of Feb, although I suppose time allowances should be made for Christmas & New Year break etc.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Hopefully the informaation I have just posted on the Home Page will help to clarify matters but if any FRA members have a specific query please don't hesitate to contact me on [email protected]
    Charmian Heaton

English Championships Clough Head Recce report - by me :-)
    Went for a little trip out with the hubby & Beau Dog today to recce Clough Head Fell Race. Parked at the Cricket Club after putting our money in the honesty box. Not the best weather. Conditions were bloody awful from the start. Driving sleet and wind before we even got off the car park. Heading up the road and onto the fells and sleet became a snow blizzard. Visibility was rubbish. The hubby led it all why I just concentrated on my feet. If there were any paths to follow we couldn't find them as snow and visibility made it hard to spot any. The hubby concentrating on map and compass kept us going in the right direction over some pretty hard going. By the time we got to Threlkeld Knotts my run had long ago turned to some pretty laboured walking. Going up to the right to get above Red Screes my legs had turned to jelly, muscles so weak. MrRTS said "come on babe, we need to keep moving or you will get cold. It flattens out a bit here so let's try a easy jog." He held my hand and helped me jog along. I started walking again before getting to Clough Head thinking, "where the hell is the top?" Visibility was now about 5mtrs. I had a lot of layers on and my top half and head was very warm. Two pairs of leggings were not doing such a good job of the legs though. I couldn't feel them! White Pike summit and he said "profile on the map shows all down hill now so let's get running again. Ok Babe?" I started to warm up but my legs were still numb, I was pretty surprised I only fell over once. My super hubby did a brilliant job with the map reading as I was just following blindly. Beau dog kept running behind me (probably making sure I didn't get lost as I had his treats.) Even the downs were really tough underfoot. Just above the track at Clough Fold I fell on my butt again. The hubby shouting "come on Sue, we have to keep moving." I knew now that he was getting cold waiting for me as "Babe & Love" has been replaced by my name! My knee was throbbing by the time we hit the track and my calf was cramping as we hit the downhill on the road but I kept running on. I could see the van in the car park, it was like a beacon. Getting back to the van I fell in the back and started to get warm dry clothes on. The driving snow had turned back to driving sleet as we hit the road.
    The hubby's verdict - that is a brilliant route.
    My verdict - that was so so so hard. I looked at him and said "I'm not fit enough for this race" and started to cry. He gave me a big hug. I know today the conditions were awful but no excuses, even with brilliant weather I would find that tough. I hurt everywhere and I'm totally knackered.
    So for me it's concentrating on easier races and at least 1 hour a day Strength & Conditioning.
    We stopped at the pub and had hot soup and I chased mine down with a JD and coke. Got home and spent 40 mins in a magnesium flake bath, iced my knee for 20 mins and did some easy kneehab exercises.
    I feel much better now and I'm back to being called "Babe" haha.
    On race day I will be out with Beau Dog and camera not on the start line. :-)
    Last edited by RaceTheSweeper; 31-03-2018 at 10:15 PM.

Banned
    Nice. And glad the love came through.
    Well done both of you.