Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bivi bags/survival blankets

novice

Bivi bags/survival blankets

Soon it will be the dark solo running at night and I’m thinking that I may need to carry some more kit in case I have an accident.

So should I carry a survival blanket or a bivi bag or something else similar?

Any recommendations for very light/small/cheap and will delay the onset of hyperthermia while the dog goes off to find a spot that has a mobile signal, and then rings for help

Re: Bivi bags/survival blanket

space blanket would allow you to wrap self in it and still move / hobble.
    Very thin lightweight bivy bag available- about 3 quid and about the size of a small wallet ( got mine at Compasspoint but i am sure Pete Bland etc sell them too) this may be better if you need to lie on the fell side but if you are out running on your own who will come and find you in it?

Where can you get those dogs from?

novice

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    space blanket would allow you to wrap self in it and still move / hobble.
    Very thin lightweight bivy bag available- about 3 quid and about the size of a small wallet ( got mine at Compasspoint but i am sure Pete Bland etc sell them too) this may be better if you need to lie on the fell side but if you are out running on your own who will come and find you in it?
    Thanks- So you would advice bivy bag instead of space blanket? I'm hopefull that within time I would be missed at home if the worst happened

How do Bivy bags work when they are so thin?

Grouse - I may have slightly exagerated the talents of our dog!

the light bivy bags are quite thin- would not stand up to many uses I suspect. Presume they work by you lying inside so not on wet ground, most rain won't get you and keep wind off you.

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Soon it will be the dark solo running at night and I’m thinking that I may need to carry some more kit in case I have an accident.

So should I carry a survival blanket or a bivi bag or something else similar?

Any recommendations for very light/small/cheap and will delay the onset of hyperthermia while the dog goes off to find a spot that has a mobile signal, and then rings for help
    Foil bags/blankets are really only a one use item. they can berolled up but will never go that small again. I usede a foil bag on a recent BG whils waiting for a runner to turn up. it quickly fell apart after the 4-5th time i got in and out.

Foil works by reflecting latent heat, Perfect for after a marathon when you will cool quick but are still pumping out heat.

Bags are obviously better than blankets as they don't allow as much heat to escape. If you have a bag and want to walk off tear a corner and stick your head through!

Plastic bags will last a long time and can be reused but are obviously a lot heavier and bulkier but are available in thinner plastic.

Bags works by producing a micro climate inside that is not effected by wind and rain . they're even better if you can get two inside....

Kisu/shelter bags are better for larger groups. these are used widely by MR and ML groups. those who have used them are not surprised by there performance, infact where some races ie HP marathon say you should carry a tent I personally think a shelter is far superior and much more practical.

so for solo runs foil bag for me is the minimum, blankets need to be tucked tight to be any real use. Plastic would be best but probably too bulky/heavy for a bumbag.

full body cover commenserate to the conditions would be my starting point including a spare hat. If you really wanted to take an extra piece of kit a spare themal in a plastic bag to keep it dry would be a big life saver. if you've been running hard you will be damp from sweat. if you had to stop that dampness will take the heat very quickly, so into a bivvy bag with dry base layer and hat will keep you alive alot longer.

my opinion hope this helps

Have you tried a blizzard bag Ian?

http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/prod...d-survival-bag

I've bivvied in the alps using just one of these without a traditional sleeping bag, and found it to be comfortable enough, even in fairly poor weather conditions.
    Admittedly I did have more and heavier weight clothing on than I would take when running.

They are made up of lenticular cells and when opened out fill with air and insulate the body.

They aren't the most robust items, although I've used mine 3 or 4 times now and it's still serviceable. You are right about them not rolling up as small again though.
    Do what you like, like what you do

novice

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Foil bags/blankets are really only a one use item. they can berolled up but will never go that small again. I usede a foil bag on a recent BG whils waiting for a runner to turn up. it quickly fell apart after the 4-5th time i got in and out.

Foil works by reflecting latent heat, Perfect for after a marathon when you will cool quick but are still pumping out heat.

Bags are obviously better than blankets as they don't allow as much heat to escape. If you have a bag and want to walk off tear a corner and stick your head through!

Plastic bags will last a long time and can be reused but are obviously a lot heavier and bulkier but are available in thinner plastic.

Bags works by producing a micro climate inside that is not effected by wind and rain . they're even better if you can get two inside....

Kisu/shelter bags are better for larger groups. these are used widely by MR and ML groups. those who have used them are not surprised by there performance, infact where some races ie HP marathon say you should carry a tent I personally think a shelter is far superior and much more practical.

so for solo runs foil bag for me is the minimum, blankets need to be tucked tight to be any real use. Plastic would be best but probably too bulky/heavy for a bumbag.

full body cover commenserate to the conditions would be my starting point including a spare hat. If you really wanted to take an extra piece of kit a spare themal in a plastic bag to keep it dry would be a big life saver. if you've been running hard you will be damp from sweat. if you had to stop that dampness will take the heat very quickly, so into a bivvy bag with dry base layer and hat will keep you alive alot longer.

my opinion hope this helps
    Ian, as usual really helpful advice

Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fellgazelle View Post
    Have you tried a blizzard bag Ian?

http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/prod...d-survival-bag

I've bivvied in the alps using just one of these without a traditional sleeping bag, and found it to be comfortable enough, even in fairly poor weather conditions.
    Admittedly I did have more and heavier weight clothing on than I would take when running.

They are made up of lenticular cells and when opened out fill with air and insulate the body.

They aren't the most robust items, although I've used mine 3 or 4 times now and it's still serviceable. You are right about them not rolling up as small again though.
    I've not used one but have carried one on the HP marathon I think(about the size of 2 pints of milk?) I hear they are good but maybe a bit big for a solo night run?

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Ian, as usual really helpful advice

Many thanks
    I aim to please...