Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brecon Beacons Fell Race

Re: Brecon Beacons Fell Race

Went over Bryn in the clag last year and ended up coming in via Llanfrynach and Pencelli - nothing like a 5 mile road run to loosen down! I hope you have better weather!!

Checkpoints are:
    Craig Pwlffa
    Cribyn
    Pen y Fan
    642m Trig approx 02251775 (Twyn Mwyalchod)
    Pant y Creigiau
    Tor y Foel

Yup, anticlockwise this year.

Bottom of Cross Fell. It's wet and windy.

Really looking forward to this, first time in that neck of the woods.

Does anyone know if there are maps available at the start or is it time to get out the permanent marker?

Thanks for the help guys, see you all there tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by RhysFR View Post
    Really looking forward to this, first time in that neck of the woods.

Does anyone know if there are maps available at the start or is it time to get out the permanent marker?
    Don't seem to remember maps being available, but it's been a couple of years since I last did this, so might be prudent to get the marker out. Appear weathers going to be fine and clear according to the forecast. Good luck, have a good one.

Thanks to organisers and marshalls on a great day out for me. Lots of sunshine and great views. A small field but I never seemed to be on my own round the course which helped with the navigation.

The mudclaws were useful on the descents but gave my knees a lot of grief on the tarmac bits

I haven't done the course clockwise but I would think I would prefer anticlockwise as you have to climb the Pen-y-Fan to make you feel that you have got round the Brecon Beacons the hard way.

Enjoyed a few pints of The Breconshire Breweries finest 'Cribyn' ale in the evening to round of a very enjoyable weekend

These WFRA races are beginning to become addictive (now when is the Black Mountains race ?)

Glad you liked it Alf. Black Mountains are 26 September and a much better race IMHO.
    You are right about the anti-clock direction being better. I retired at the top of Pen Y Fan rather than suffering the mind-numbing tedium of the second half of the course! The fact that my mate Toffer was on marshal duties there with a bottle of Glenlivet had nothing whatsoever with my decision!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Glad you liked it Alf. Black Mountains are 26 September and a much better race IMHO.
    You are right about the anti-clock direction being better. I retired at the top of Pen Y Fan rather than suffering the mind-numbing tedium of the second half of the course! The fact that my mate Toffer was on marshal duties there with a bottle of Glenlivet had nothing whatsoever with my decision!
    Actually if he hadn't retired I would have disqualified him on account of the absolutely disgusting pair of skimpy black silk lustered shorts that he was wearing, poor shy sheep having to endure 3 hrs of that
    And yes, BB is half a good race, Wheeze did the good half and saw sense after the Glenlivet. Black Mts on the other hand is a cracking afternoon out, thoroughly recommended, if only for the priceless hand-written results published by Puffing Billy afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    Actually if he hadn't retired I would have disqualified him on account of the absolutely disgusting pair of skimpy black silk lustered shorts that he was wearing, poor shy sheep having to endure 3 hrs of that
    And yes, BB is half a good race, Wheeze did the good half and saw sense after the Glenlivet. Black Mts on the other hand is a cracking afternoon out, thoroughly recommended, if only for the priceless hand-written results published by Puffing Billy afterwards!
    I agree with Toff, those shorts were well, erghm... barely acceptable if that

Black Mountains is a super race, may fave race here in South Wales, definitely a good day out! Won't be able to do it this year, as I am doing 3 Peaks Cyclocross the day after But I do recommend it...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

That wasn't lustre, that was a lethal mix of sweat and viper! Leaky camelbak y'see!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth