Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Science: Settle an argument

FellMonster

Science: Settle an argument

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-GSrrk_ATM

Can you explain this?

There seems to have been an argument whether it is evaporation, condensation or sublimation....

Re: Science: Settle an argumen

Quote Originally Posted by FellMonster View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-GSrrk_ATM

Can you explain this?

There seems to have been an argument whether it is evaporation, condensation or sublimation....
    Simple sir, its not rocket science, it's
    youtube
    Hills and Guinness!

FellMonster

Ahhhh, but Im looking for a scientific explanation as to the process which is happening sir......a hot liquid appears to be turning into a gas which is leading people to think it is evaporation.

However, is it turning into gas or small ice particles? Evaporation normally takes place at positive temperatures. Though when evaporation takes place there also condensation occuring also but usually at less significant rate.

Sublimation on the other hand is a solid turning into a gas at negative temperatures....but this is not a solid, it is hot water

Anyone?

Is this thread a joke? Or is it about Dr Who?

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    Is this thread a joke? Or is it about Dr Who?
    It's actually a special thread for two reasons:

1) It operates under the auspice of asking for clarification on a serious scientific issue.

2) Deep within the ancients word I use are hidden secret messages of healing and love for mankind

Ahhhh, but Im looking for a scientific explanation as to the process which is happening sir......a hot liquid appears to be turning into a gas which is leading people to think it is evaporation.

However, is it turning into gas or small ice particles? Evaporation normally takes place at positive temperatures. Though when evaporation takes place there also condensation occuring also but usually at less significant rate.

Sublimation on the other hand is a solid turning into a gas at negative temperatures....but this is not a solid, it is hot water

Anyone?
    Technically speaking it is freezing. The hot water is liquid, at this temperature it turns to ice, which is solid. Therefore liquid --> solid is freezing or solidification. It is a slight 'optical illusion' in that it looks as if it is evaoprating.

The comment about negative or positive temperature is technically incorrect, changes of state occur due to a negative or positive enthalpy change (roughly speaking energy)

This is how I would explain it at school. I hope that it is clear, if it comes across as condescending, my apologies....

PS this clip could make a great starter in alesson, thank you!!

It's actually a special thread for two reasons:

1) It operates under the auspice of asking for clarification on a serious scientific issue.

2) Deep within the ancients word I use are hidden secret messages of healing and love for mankind
    1) I think I've kind of attempted

2) I'm a science teacher, I don't claim to be anything else apart from a slow fell runner...

FellMonster

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    Technically speaking it is freezing. The hot water is liquid, at this temperature it turns to ice, which is solid. Therefore liquid --> solid is freezing or solidification. It is a slight 'optical illusion' in that it looks as if it is evaoprating.

The comment about negative or positive temperature is technically incorrect, changes of state occur due to a negative or positive enthalpy change (roughly speaking energy)

This is how I would explain it at school. I hope that it is clear, if it comes across as condescending, my apologies....

That is more helpful than you may ever know sir.....it didn't come across as condens-ing at all

the clip will certainly arouse interest id imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post

I was about to say that...

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I was about to say that...
    Feck!!! Beat me tuit
    Hills and Guinness!