Page 11 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: :D Barefoot Running

Re: :D Barefoot Running

Quote Originally Posted by cockermouth? View Post
    Just by the by

ran my first barefoot at the weekend. [...]
    Congrats for your 1st one! Is'nt it a blast? Be carefull though it's addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by cockermouth? View Post
    Just by the by

gonna try some wet grass soon. The experiment will continue....
    Grass and mud are great to barefoot on, makes you feel like a 7 year old again!

I've been following the barefoot and Vibram threads for a while . Also a friend has been harping on natural running for quite some time .

I gave it a try last week . Only ten mins in the field followed by some short sprints in trainers then another ten mins bare foot to warm down . I'm also trying to be less of a heel striker more of a mid striker on my longer runs in trainers .

I thought I'd got the field like a bowling green but my feet seemed to pick up every little stone out there . oh ah ouch . I will persevere and toughen my feet up .

I'm hoping this will help with the recovery from and prevention of more Achilles tendonitis problems .

This whole barefoot running thing seems weird to me; I can understand it on a sandy beach or grassy lawns and even playing fields but in the hills it just doesn't sound worth the risk. In the dales where I'm at, the tracks and footpaths are typically rocky or rubblely with lots of mud and bog thrown in and, off track, its again deep grassy tussocks and cotton grass with added rocks in the limestone neck of the woods and sharp heather twigs with rocks and bog in the gritstone neck of the woods. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

That said I *may* have tried the keep your shoes on but forget about anything else option . Anyone else done that?

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    This whole barefoot running thing seems weird to me; I can understand it on a sandy beach or grassy lawns and even playing fields but in the hills it just doesn't sound worth the risk.
    Me too. I'm still trying to get the thorns out of my hands from Mid-Wales undergrowth the weekend before last, & I get enough nettle rash on my arms and legs as it is from running Peak District paths. Scafell Pike barefoot anyone? And no, Stolly I don't fancy running starkers either. Winter's on the way anyway... Woolly hat, gloves, thick socks & nothing else perhaps? I'd suggest a thermal willy-warmer as well. But I won't be joining you.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

I decided to give it a shot on Friday night - round the cricket ground - perfect.
    Then again on Monday along a well kept grass verge.
    just 5 minutes a shot.

Stolly I don't think its realistic to be running the fells in bare feet. (though they are producing the flat shoes now I think its probably a years project to convert yourself slowly, carefully)
    The reason I'm doing it is to try and strengthen things up a bit - calves in particular keep pulling (age).
    This is what happened.
    Fri - Flat run in trainers along canal calf goes for no apparent reason
    week off
    Fri - gentle, cautious try out running 5 mins at a time for 30 mins - ok
    Sat - gentle 30 mins in easy terrain - just fine could still feel the calf
    Sun - 2hours 50 in the fells from Honister - could still feel it but ok
    A couple of short runs in the week
    Fri - steady run along canal in trainers - TWANG !! for no apparent reason.
    Feck, Feck, Feck !

I trained since Christmas to May in the fells for a BG - no problem, then I ease back for 3 months, trot along the road and it all goes wrong.

Similarly recovering from calf trouble at Christmas fells were no problem.

So, how come climbing, where you are on your toes, and rough terrain where you are often on your toes and always "using" your foot is no problem ?
    whereas flat stuff is.
    I suspect that the "timing" or "firing sequence" of calf muscle use in trainers/ heel strike may have something to do with it. Being on your toes may be a more "appropriate" firing sequence ?? Mostly strong muscle cope, but if you are ageing weakening, maybe they stop coping so well ?

So I thought - if barefoot put you more on your toes and uses your feet then I'll give it a try.
    I don't necessarily see it as something to do all the time, but a specific session to stregthen up certain muscles, bones etc. especially the many in the foot, and my calves.
    I see it as more a one or twice a week thing - like you would do with interval training - training one specific aspect of your fitness.

Amazing how soft and fluffy and stuffy socks and trainers feel after a spell running through the dew.

I think I'll stick to using shoes in the fells .

I'm just trying it in a flat field to improve my technique of foot strike . Even that pulled up issues with small stones .

Skafell pike . Not a bl***y chance mate .

Quote Originally Posted by nightingale View Post

I'm just trying it in a flat field to improve my technique of foot strike . Even that pulled up issues with small stones .

Your feet will get used to the stones, just give it time. You will be surprised with how much your feet can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by nightingale View Post

I can see the sense in barefoot running for therapeutic reasons - if it works of course. I slam down pretty heavily on my heels myself. I'd imagine there are some problems it would exacerbate on the other hand. I've got a cracking bunion on my left foot, & I use orthotic padding in my running shoes to reduce the amount the joint bends while I'm running. Running barefoot just sounds such a bad idea given this, but I'd be interested if I thought it might be of benefit. In the right fields of course...
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club