Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Big 3 consecutively-BG, RR, PB

Re: Big 3 consecutively-BG, RR

Sounds like there's soon to be a new edition of Mike Cudahy's classic Wild Trails To Far Horizons, and Mike Hartley has contributed what sounds like a very interesting final essay, which may throw light on the nitty gritty of his Big 3 tour- de- force.

http://www.hayloft.eu/wildtrails.html

If I remember correctly - it was nearly 20 years ago, it was Mike's intention to do the whole thing, including the driving (within the speed limits) as fast as possible. That's why after the RR in 21hrs 14 he immediately got into the car and was driven down to Keswick, where he got out of the car with his walshies on, started running and did the BG in 23.48.
    He was a bit tired on the PB and needed to rest a little and also had a 45 minute nap.

The whole thing from start to finish, including the driving took 3 days 14 hours and 20 minutes. It was a phenomenal achievement which in my opinion never gained the credit it was due at the time, possibly because back then not many people appreciated what the RR & PB really were. To my knowledge no one has attempted it before or since and it would take someone of unbelieveable fitness, determination and capacity to suffer to repeat or better what Mike achieved. Perhaps it is something that will stay as a one off as it has for the last 19 years. Fantastic! Very well done Mike!

PS the article Mike wrote about this at the time, entitled 'Round and Round and Round' will be included as a chapter in the second edition of Mike Cadahay's book, currently at the printers.
    Last edited by geofpet; 17-09-2009 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geofpet View Post
    If I remember correctly - it was nearly 20 years ago, it was Mike's intention to do the whole thing, including the driving (within the speed limits) as fast as possible. That's why after the RR in 21hrs 14 he immediately got into the car and was driven down to Keswick, where he got out of the car with his walshies on, started running and did the BG in 23.48.
    He was a bit tired on the PB and needed to rest a little and also had a 45 minute nap.

The whole thing from start to finish, including the driving took 3 days 14 hours and 20 minutes. It was a phenomenal achievement which in my opinion never gained the credit it was due at the time, possibly because back then not many people appreciated what the RR & PB really were. To my knowledge no one has attempted it before or since and it would take someone of unbelieveable fitness, determination and capacity to suffer to repeat or better what Mike achieved. Perhaps it is something that will stay as a one off as it has for the last 19 years. Fantastic! Very well done Mike!
    I never realised that his remit was to do the "big 3" as fast as possible. It will certainly be tough to beat, if anyone can even contemplate the suffering that this would entail. It would be a brave and very fit individual that took this on.

I agree it was a magnificent achievement, one which I think anyone that understands what one round takes to complete will have massive respect for. I have had huge respect for this no matter what he set out to do. But now that I know he tried to do them as quick as possible makes it even more awesome.
    Lancslad