Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Garmin?

Which Garmin?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a Garmin watch....but don't know which one to go for...
    ...which one do you use and why?

Cheers x
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Re: Which Garmin?

Garmin Forerunner 305.

or a 310XT if you've got money to burn...

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to get a Garmin watch....but don't know which one to go for...
    ...which one do you use and why?

Cheers x
    The GPS equipped models -

205 - cheapest

305 - next cheapest, same as 205 but with heart rate monitor and option of getting a cadence measuerer for cycling. Also in red instead of blue Unless you're going to use these extra accessories there's no point in paying the extra for this.

405 - looks like a big normal watch. Doesn't have the basic map display you get on the others (they show a breadcrumb trail you can follow back home or you can upload routes other people have done and follow them, there's no actual base map shown underneath the trail). I've not used one so can't comment on ease of use compared to the rest, it has a touch bezel thing to operate. Supposed to pick up satellites faster, and wirelessly downloads data to your computer.

310XT - newly released model, similar to the 205/305 in shape and functionality, but waterproof enough for swimming, connects wirelessly to your computer and has double the battery life at 20 hours.

I have a 305. For me the newer models don't offer enough for warrant the extra cost, and in some ways the 405 is a step backwards and only wins on looks.

I never use the HRM now so might as well have had a 205. And then I don't wear it for most runs, opting for a normal watch or none at all...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    The GPS equipped models -

205 - cheapest

305 - next cheapest, same as 205 but with heart rate monitor and option of getting a cadence measuerer for cycling. Also in red instead of blue Unless you're going to use these extra accessories there's no point in paying the extra for this.

405 - looks like a big normal watch. Doesn't have the basic map display you get on the others (they show a breadcrumb trail you can follow back home or you can upload routes other people have done and follow them, there's no actual base map shown underneath the trail). I've not used one so can't comment on ease of use compared to the rest, it has a touch bezel thing to operate. Supposed to pick up satellites faster, and wirelessly downloads data to your computer.

310XT - newly released model, similar to the 205/305 in shape and functionality, but waterproof enough for swimming, connects wirelessly to your computer and has double the battery life at 20 hours.

I have a 305. For me the newer models don't offer enough for warrant the extra cost, and in some ways the 405 is a step backwards and only wins on looks.

I never use the HRM now so might as well have had a 205. And then I don't wear it for most runs, opting for a normal watch or none at all...

That's great thanks Steve.....I guess it is the 205 for me then as I don't really want a heartrate monitor....besides mine will probably go off the scale at the moment anyway!
    (also don't have money to burn for the 310XT....but don't need waterproof either!)
    Cheers x
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Mmmmm.......it's my birthday soon!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Got the 305. Using the HR monitor. Doesn't do anything at the mo' save make me take a sharp intake of breath when I put it on (it's very cold!).

Will figure out how to use it properly though. Once I've brought myself to do one of those mad max HR tests recommended elsewhere.

Otherwise, love it to bits.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

205 works for me, not interested in Heart Rate, if i'm still alive, i know i've still got one!
    Got mine from here, cheapest around at the time
    http://www.gps4less.co.uk/shop001/pr...php?xProd=1931
    Hills and Guinness!

Note that if you change your mind and get a HRM strap for the 205 it won't work as the functionality is not there. Bit of a shame that as I like the blue better and was going to get that and a strap seperately - good job I checked!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Goatess View Post
    I'm looking to get a Garmin watch
    Cheers x
    Horses for courses, watch the gizmo doesn't land you up in middle earth
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

95 quid delivered on ebay MG.