Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knee help please!

Knee help please!

My knee issues have just got serious and i'm out of the game for a while now by the looks of it. The pain, as far as i can see from netdoctor, is located in the Lateral Collateral Ligament on my right knee; i am right legged. It started at Sedbergh Hills and has always been a soreness rather than an injury but it has suddenly escalated to the point where i can barely walk now. If i stretch my ITB it's not painful but any motion in the joint is very painful.

I spoke to my chiro about it and he thinks it's related to a weakness in my ITB. How does that work then? is my ITB too weak to adequetly stabilise the joint?

As the Iron Lady said to the SAS during the Iranian Embassy siege, i don't want an ongoing problem. If anyone has advice on a recovery program i'm all ears, i was thinking about staying off it for 2 weeks then starting gently again with the push bike and swimming, coupled with an ITB strengthening squat exercise with an elastic thingy wrapped around your knees and you stretch it apart while squatting. Anyone do this?

Any advice gratefully recieved, i've not had a problem this bad before but i'm sure it's not uncommon. Thanks.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: Knee help please!

I've just come back from a similar injury. Pain down the outside of my right knee (sometimes under the kneecap on the upper left on same). That was from Tour of Pendle last year, and only in the last couple of months been able to get running again.

Recommend a physio to assess exactly what your weakness is and get a program of exercises. Rest from running, and when you're ready slooooooow back in to the running.

Exercises I used included:
    To strengthen the surrounding muscles for stability -
    - one-legged squats with dumbells
    - calf raises with dumbells
    - 'the clam' (lie on side, legs bent slightly but together, slowly lift the top leg, extend, bend again, and lower.)
    - similar exercise to your band stretching: rubber loop around my ankles and sidestepping up and down the hall

Stretches -
    - use a scaffolding pole (or foam roller) under your hip, and roll your body up, so the roller rolls down the outside of your thigh. This stretches your ITB directly (bloody painful)
    - stand on one leg, the other leg crossed over, and push your hip out to the side on the leg bearing your weight.

Check out Al Fowler's knee thread for more advice on stretching and remedial exercises.

I think I pushed mine too far too soon, and I've been having niggles since a club run on Tues. Going to see how it fares on tomorrow's Pendle recce. Don't think it helped that my focus on the exercises and stretches went after I found I could run again

Best of luck for a speedy recovery.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    I've just come back from a similar injury. Pain down the outside of my right knee (sometimes under the kneecap on the upper left on same). That was from Tour of Pendle last year, and only in the last couple of months been able to get running again.

Recommend a physio to assess exactly what your weakness is and get a program of exercises. Rest from running, and when you're ready slooooooow back in to the running.

Exercises I used included:
    To strengthen the surrounding muscles for stability -
    - one-legged squats with dumbells
    - calf raises with dumbells
    - 'the clam' (lie on side, legs bent slightly but together, slowly lift the top leg, extend, bend again, and lower.)
    - similar exercise to your band stretching: rubber loop around my ankles and sidestepping up and down the hall

Stretches -
    - use a scaffolding pole (or foam roller) under your hip, and roll your body up, so the roller rolls down the outside of your thigh. This stretches your ITB directly (bloody painful)
    - stand on one leg, the other leg crossed over, and push your hip out to the side on the leg bearing your weight.

Check out Al Fowler's knee thread for more advice on stretching and remedial exercises.

I think I pushed mine too far too soon, and I've been having niggles since a club run on Tues. Going to see how it fares on tomorrow's Pendle recce. Don't think it helped that my focus on the exercises and stretches went after I found I could run again

Best of luck for a speedy recovery.
    Nice one gary, physio will take ages to get sorted with the NHS so i'm going to take advice from other sources. My issues started after Sedbergh and i should have rested and eased back into it in the successive weeks but i thought sod it i want to run! now i'm paying the price.

Thanks again for the advice, looks like the push iron will be seeing some unexpected use better get that rusty chain oiled.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Nice one gary, physio will take ages to get sorted with the NHS so i'm going to take advice from other sources. My issues started after Sedbergh and i should have rested and eased back into it in the successive weeks but i thought sod it i want to run! now i'm paying the price.

Thanks again for the advice, looks like the push iron will be seeing some unexpected use better get that rusty chain oiled.
    Just locate a local sports Physio and pay. Its the only way. If you are not strengthen the right area your problem will keep cropping up.

I was cycling up to 120 mile per week no problem but could not run 5 yards. One cartilidge Op later and I should be back with no problem BUT it was my Physio who insisted I had an MRI scan to diagnose the problem.
    Best £20 spent this year

Physio booked for friday, was really looking forward to Whernside this weekend, i'm a tool

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Physio booked for friday, was really looking forward to Whernside this weekend, i'm a tool
    Well Done Mr B.
    You have made the right choice
    Hope all goes well.

Starting to think about that Leeds Hospital Fund thing now, i'm going to be living off smartprice ready meals by the time i'm running again!

Knee tracking gone again, I'm totally pee'd off. This thing has been lingering for two years. Its completely disrupted my running to the point where I am that worried about another flare up that I have grown to not enjoy my running anymore. Starting to think about what long term damage I could be doing, ie worn cartlidge

I have been stetching strengthening, deep massage semi regular, foam rolling even got a knee strap and orthotics and I have barely been doing many miles.

This time its the worsts its been shooting pains going down the stairs, walking to car, even pains when I hit and unven piece of road/tarmac and thats all just walking

Do I need a long long layoff. Longest I had with this was five months, but I cycled and swam.

Maybe another physio appointments, but I know what the problem is.

Aaargh

first physio appointment today, pardon my typing i'm at a house party and i've got filthy underground electro pounding in my lug holes! it looks like it's not my LCL or my ITB that are the problem, weaknesses in other muscels are making me use the aforementioned more than usual and unneccesarily stressing them. the physio girl has given me a program of exercises and stretches to encourage me to use my quads and glutes more than my ITB and hamstring. training myself to use these will minimise the load on smaller muscels.

Thanks to the gent who suggested sports physio, it was worth it

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Think this is always the way: it's not the ITB directly, but imblances and weaknesses elsewhere in the leg. Glad you've managed to pin-point it tho'. Step 1: check.

Now just follow the advice and don't rush back.

Best of luck dude
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk