Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Year of the cough

Year of the cough

Since November last year I have been plagued by chest infections. This started with a chest infetion in November, Flu just before Christmas, then another chest infection beginning of Feb (very very ill).

I missed Tanky's, High Peak marathon and edale skyline.

I built up gradually and managed the three peaks (then got a bit over eager and did coniston the following wk end).

Then I got another cold, then another - I went to the docs to ask why I was ill all the time and he said it was just unlucky. He also said I could prob train as my chest was clear and I didn't have a temp.

Anyway at some point I realized I kept having a night time cough. And in May I had a dry cough all the time - which turned in to a chesty cough.

I was quite relieved as I thought a its gone productive that should clear it out. But it didn't change - and I had a kind of death rattle at the end of a long exhalation or Huff.

Re: Year of the cough

So back to the docs - a different one in same surgery listens to my death rattle and says try this blue inhaler.

My peak flow was and is normal (and doesn't change morning to night, or before to after blue inhaler)

Anyway ngiht time cough still there really annoying/tiring - so back to docs (another one in the same surgery) who says try a brown inhaler

Again seems to be a bti of an improvement but can't quite get rid of cough - back again and get purple inhaler.

Finally on last visit got sent for an xray but won't get results for a week or so(also got prescription for uber strong steroid tabs - not for general long term use just for 2 weeks to see if steroids are being effective).

Now - i don't genrally wheeze in the high pitched sense (unless eyeballs out in a race whan i think i would have done anyway), my peak flow doesn't change (and is in teh normal range), there are times most mornings that if I huff (i.e. do long exhale) i can rattle and cough up sticky white phlegm (some times with v small bits of green).

Even when i can feel this gunk there - its not audible in my normal breath (even with stethoscope) unless i do a huff.

Is this asthma??? - I read both the really good threads on asthma here.

I am getting slower as I am scared of training/running hard as this seems to make it worse. I have been thinking about asking advice from the resident hufers and puffers but as you can see it is a bit of a long thread so may not really get read.

Anyway - thanks if you got this far :-)

I feel shattered after reading that, have you thought of getting a blog and write about your cough?

You could help someone out with their medical education...

I had all kinds of colds, coughs etc since Christmas, my own doctor has now refered me to an Homeapathy Consultant, who reviews your medical history, ie, coughs etc, and then gives you those remedies...

Remedies are good for...

Fighting Infection, Relieving Cold Symptoms, and Enhancing Immune Function. Related topics include Cold & Flu, Minor Infection, and Allergies.

Maybe give it a go...can't hurt can it!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Cripes! Sounds like a job for Dr Gregory House!

Can offer nothing more constructive than that I'm afraid

Just best wishes and hope you get sorted soon.

SS
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Go old school and try some Kendal Black-Drop, Coleridge swore by it...
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

black drop right down broad stand :-)

i think house is good but can't quite shake the image of him as lord percy.

anyway - that means my doctor (or his employees) would have to break into my house and search through my stuff to find out the cause!

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
    i think house is good but can't quite shake the image of him as lord percy.

anyway - that means my doctor (or his employees) would have to break into my house and search through my stuff to find out the cause!
    If you've got nothing to hide...
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Here is a remedy for Wheeze:-

HOLLAND’S BALSAM of SPRUCE gives immediate ease in all Asthmatic cases, and particularly in Hoarseness, Wheeze and Obstructions of the Chest ; while those who have laboured for years under the misery of a confirmed Asthma, have been enabled by its use to enjoy the blessings of life, and to pursue their avocations with a degree of ease and comfort they had been strangers to for years.

Prepared by Charles Holland, and sold by his agent, T. Prout, 229, Strand, London ;
    and by most Medicine Venders in the Kingdom.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

so before he met barret it was "holland and prout"

thats stuff looks almost as good as friars balsam!

Smashed my shoulder blade and opposite elbow at the Snowdon race in July. Lots of ibuprofen and paracetamol since but I had dreadful cold/weariness about a month ago. My theory is that I might have had swine flu but this was masked by the painkillers - anyone else had a similar experience? Back running though - XC in Bridgnorth tomorrow!!!!