Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snakebites

Snakebites

No we're not getting pissed, not yet anyway but i was wondering if anyone had ever come accross an Adder before whilst running. Scoff if you will, but most of the time we're running through their back yards and the warming climate will only increase their numbers.

According to Michael Buerk on 999, if one of them gets you you've got about an hour before you start to throw up and stagger around as if you've been at the Tennents Super. Most people go through their entire lives never having seen one but if you were to step on one it wouldn't miss.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Banned

Re: Snakebites

I do that regular

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    No we're not getting pissed, not yet anyway but i was wondering if anyone had ever come accross an Adder before whilst running. Scoff if you will, but most of the time we're running through their back yards and the warming climate will only increase their numbers.

According to Michael Buerk on 999, if one of them gets you you've got about an hour before you start to throw up and stagger around as if you've been at the Tennents Super. Most people go through their entire lives never having seen one but if you were to step on one it wouldn't miss.
    Saw one on Jura once but no one believed me.

Kickes one into the air when I was running, years ago on chalk down in Dorset.
    It landed about 3 foot away. I screamed , threw up and stood there shaking. Fortunately it slid away

Also nearly trod on a black snake in Italy- foot hovering above..... family said it was my fault for always being 5 metres ahead...

Quote Originally Posted by blackrod lad View Post
    Saw one on Jura once but no one believed me.
    No!...that's what they'd be expecting people to think...
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Got bit by one running in North Wales, didn't know at the time, later had a reaction, bacterial infection and Dr pointed out perfect snakes bite mark, believed to be an adder. Bit through the tonge of my trainer so porbably no poison got through or it had just bitten something else. I was running through brambles so stabbing pain was quite common so I ingored it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post

yes I've seen a few. Mainly in Scotland/Cheviots, in remote areas on sunny days.
    I've seen the occasional one in the peak, last time was on Nether moor during a dozen, it was one of the first really sunny days of the year and it was still abit sluggish

scariest was on Har Tor on Dartmoor, climbing up a route I reached up to a ledge and grab a root yep it was an adder which fell to earth near my then sunbathing girl friend (now wife), Guess who had to cook that evening AND wash up!!

if you are running the chances are you'll scare them away long before you get near them.

get in the remoter spots on hot days and keep you eyes open. south west slopes are the most favourable.

I have seen a few grass snakes.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

I've seen lots on Jura, surprised by the variety of colours, some very pale green almost yellow.

One bit my usual running companion Floyd on the paw up in Borrowdale a few weeks ago. nearly killed the poor dog. Huge thanks to the marvellous vet in Keswick. Kevlar gaiters all round for the next Borrowdale Fell Race!