Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wedding costs

Wedding costs

Who'd get married nowadays

Just been to the florist "well if you spend £400 you get the button holes for free......."

£400 on some bloody flowers

Don't even get me started on cakes

Re: Wedding costs

Get thi self off to a tropical Isle to do it. I flew to Mauritious 1st class, helicopter transfer, suite in hotel, wedding, photos & flowers. Had 2 weeks there so was a holiday/honeymoon and it cost less than £4500 including spends. Threw a bit of a do a week after we got back but in-laws/parents paid for that.

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    Who'd get married nowadays

Just been to the florist "well if you spend £400 you get the button holes for free......."

£400 on some bloody flowers

Don't even get me started on cakes
    I would budget about £20,000 Karen if I was you

I've told my daughter shes not allowed out of the house with out a chaperone until she 25 when she will be allowed to Elope.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    Get thi self off to a tropical Isle to do it. I flew to Mauritious 1st class, helicopter transfer, suite in hotel, wedding, photos & flowers. Had 2 weeks there so was a holiday/honeymoon and it cost less than £4500 including spends. Threw a bit of a do a week after we got back but in-laws/parents paid for that.
    can't say I like the over seas option but looking at the figures it's a hard option not to take. ELOPE!!!!

Kazza,

We got married on a budget...it IS possible! Although it was 12 years ago

Mother in law did the flowers
    Sister in law baked the cake
    Brother in law took some snaps
    Got married on a friday - was cheaper!
    Got married in the afternoon
    Didn't have a wedding breakfast thingy
    Had a friends 7 piece soul band do the night thing was a pressie so no dj costs etc
    Set a budget for the frock, walked in shop, pulled out the first one said 'that'll do' !!
    oh and the car that took me to the ceremony we got half price as I said I'm not paying for a round trip when I'm only going on 1 journey!!

hmmm, probably not your average wedding!!

Emmi it's definitely an advantage if you can get friends and family to do bits of it - we a scrabbling about to find people who can do stuff for us.

-Mum is doing cake (well cakes - we are having cup cakes )
    -We're getting married on a Sunday as it doesn't incur a 'minimum spend' (can't believe places do this! ) and it's a bank holiday so as good as a Saturday!
    -Oh and my brothers are driving me & the bridesmaids to the wedding and our ceremony & reception are at the same place, so once we are there, we are there - so no cost for cars.
    -ex-step-sister is a photographer and may or may not give us a discount

Struggling to do flowers cheaply though. Wish I knew a florist!

Even with those savings I reckon we are looking at £8k for the wedding (NOT including honeymoon)... So nowhere near the £16-18k avaerage spend but it still smarts!

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    Kazza,

We got married on a budget...it IS possible! Although it was 12 years ago

Mother in law did the flowers
    Sister in law baked the cake
    Brother in law took some snaps
    Got married on a friday - was cheaper!
    Got married in the afternoon
    Didn't have a wedding breakfast thingy
    Had a friends 7 piece soul band do the night thing was a pressie so no dj costs etc
    Set a budget for the frock, walked in shop, pulled out the first one said 'that'll do' !!
    oh and the car that took me to the ceremony we got half price as I said I'm not paying for a round trip when I'm only going on 1 journey!!

hmmm, probably not your average wedding!!
    but you're not the average girl

undercover moderator

I'm not going to get married again.

I'm just going to find a woman I don't like and give her a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    That's exactly what we did...but in St. Lucia....was fab!
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    Emmi it's definitely an advantage if you can get friends and family to do bits of it - we a scrabbling about to find people who can do stuff for us.

-Mum is doing cake (well cakes - we are having cup cakes )
    -We're getting married on a Sunday as it doesn't incur a 'minimum spend' (can't believe places do this! ) and it's a bank holiday so as good as a Saturday!
    -Oh and my brothers are driving me & the bridesmaids to the wedding and our ceremony & reception are at the same place, so once we are there, we are there - so no cost for cars.
    -ex-step-sister is a photographer and may or may not give us a discount

Struggling to do flowers cheaply though. Wish I knew a florist!

Even with those savings I reckon we are looking at £8k for the wedding (NOT including honeymoon)... So nowhere near the £16-18k avaerage spend but it still smarts!
    You need to get to a florist wholesalers and buy in bulk. Much much cheaper than going through a florist and at the end of the day you are paying a premium on the flowers, their services for doing them and the fact it's a wedding, like valentines the price suddenly increases!

It depends what you want though I guess, my favourite flowers are roses and I didn't want anything other than a simple bunch of them.

However, we bought a job lot and made our own button holes etc just with a few pins and a smidgen of creativity.

Can you go somewhere you may have used regularly and explain your budget and see what they can offer if you can't get someone you know to make some for you? Maybe between now and then you can buy a couple of cheap bunches of flowers from the supermarket and a bit of oasis and just practice with various arrangements???

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    but you're not the average girl
    This is very true!!