Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats the best runners dog?

Wink Whats the best runners dog?

Usually run with company, However yesterday there were no mates so I gave our old fella a bell and borrowed his 3 year old chocolate Labrador. Like most chocolate labs, this one is insane. I'd not let it off the lead as if it sees another dog it won't just pull, it'll do this weird vertical take off jumping.

So, off I went for a gentle run of about 5-8 miles. Figured lets get out there and see how it feels.
    Felt great to me. There were a couple of very early pauses to chat with other dog walkers and assess 'Flynn's reaction with other dogs. After this we continued along the trails. Thats kinda where the good bit ends. I got to about a mile and Flynn was knackered. He could walk all day, but get to a jog and he's out of it. Still did the 5 miles, but at his pace.

Just wondered if anyone else has tried running with a hound and if so what breeds have proved up to the task and what breeds have been blatant failures.?

david

Re: Whats the best runners dog

If the dog has never done any running before it's a little unfair to expect it to cope with 5-8 miles but a fit labrador can run for miles. Break it in gently, give it time to get fit and it will soon be outrunning you.

You can't beat a good lurcher i say! One with the right combination of speed, stamina and trainability

I seem to remember a long thread about this a while ago.

I think there are many things to consider when deciding what's the best running dog. Such as: Is it likely to chase things? Will it kill them if it does? How muddy does it get? Will it overheat running in the UK? Can you control it easily with commands? Will it go insane if you don't run for a few days? etc.

I think we'll probably get another lab/collie when our trusty Max finally retires. Less fat than a lab, but less manic than a collie. Ours is now very good at ignoring sheep. He's in semi-retirement from running now (aged 10) but comes out for the occasional recovery run with me and Mrs Noel.

A friend has a Weimaraner, which can run all day. It's so strong she has a harness so the dog can pull her up hills. The weimaraner in question is very well trained, but I think they can be a bit daft.

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    If the dog has never done any running before it's a little unfair to expect it to cope with 5-8 miles but a fit labrador can run for miles. Break it in gently, give it time to get fit and it will soon be outrunning you.
    Hi, no I didn't expect him to cope with 5 miles of running. Figured I'd end up walking. Thought a 3 year old dog should cope with a mile of light jogging which included 2 breaks tho.
    Just wondering how he'll be next time I go to my parents. Happy to see me or sulking in a corner

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    You can't beat a good lurcher i say! One with the right combination of speed, stamina and trainability
    In your experience, what is an average lurcher like at resisting the temptation to chase rabbits through sheep fields? I like the idea of a lurcher, but would worry having a sight hound around lambs.

i take my border collie, fells are their terraine after all, he will go to chase sheep, but with a stern shout will come back, he is getting better, and when it's just us two running, he bareley takes notice of the sheep!
    there is no way of tiring the little bugger, and he's done 22 miles so far max (old crown round) and regularly does half marathon road runs with me
    go play on the m 6, now, how does that sound

Beagles...lots of 'em :-)

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    In your experience, what is an average lurcher like at resisting the temptation to chase rabbits through sheep fields? I like the idea of a lurcher, but would worry having a sight hound around lambs.
    I have to say you make a very good point there.. the average lurcher chases anything that moves, and many will kill if they can! That's what they're bred for after all. I have 3 and only one is sheep trainable. It's no coincidence that she's the least sighthoundy of the 3. If the others go on the hill, which is rarely, they are muzzled and shackled to me with cables and reserve cables! But you CAN have a lurcher that's safe with sheep- specially something like a first cross greyhound x collie.

I reckon unless you have an incurable sighthound fetish like me you're probably alot better off with a lab x collie type or similar. The rehoming centres are heaving with this kind of dog. I try and persuade people not to get a pure bred- they're much less healthy, and every pedigree dog sold takes a place that could go to a homeless dog, which may otherwise be destroyed. Although i have got a bit of a thing for Hungarian Viszlas

Master and MR

My border collie, badger runs most days with me. He will do 8 miles tonight easy
    Cant speak for every collie but badger always has to be ten yards in front and is constantly checking my whereabouts. ( im told bitches do this even more).
    He knows every single part of each route we take and It seems that he has come to think that this is part of his job. He seems to want to guide me around our runs.
    He doesnt chase so Ive been lucky in that respect.
    But if you have one that chases this can cause problems with animals, particulary horse owners.
    Most of the farmers and horse owners on our routes recognise badger and now see there isnt a problem as he just plods on past.

Id def recommend a border collie but try and get one from a rescue centre. I considered the pros and cons of owning a dog for 2 years before I decided.
    Id say badger runs about 30 miles a week with me. he is nearly 3 now