Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats the best runners dog?

Re: Whats the best runners dog

Quote Originally Posted by Longdogs View Post
    You can't beat a good lurcher i say! One with the right combination of speed, stamina and trainability

Seconded... lurchers rule... but not too sure about trainability!! Mine was so so with sheep.. so normally had to keep her under close control.. a couple of time we came across a fox when she was loose and that then meant a 45min wait while she ran across the county and back.. absolutely knackered! Happy days! Now dog-less but would certainly choose a lurcher again if circumstances were different.
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
    Seconded... lurchers rule... but not too sure about trainability!! Mine was so so with sheep.. so normally had to keep her under close control.. a couple of time we came across a fox when she was loose and that then meant a 45min wait while she ran across the county and back.. absolutely knackered! Happy days! Now dog-less but would certainly choose a lurcher again if circumstances were different.
    yeah trainability all relative... am familiar with the 45 min wait. All the lurcher books i've read say they should retrieve their prey.. not bloody likely!!! Take it off and eat it resisting all attempts to be caught.. good job there's Tesco or we'd starve

Border collie - rescue & she's luuurvely & will run & run & run........

We do have recall issues, she was a stray & had hunted but we're working hard on this & she is definately getting better.

Can reccomend Wiccaweys which is where ours came from. They are really good at sussing out collie characters, some have v active brains & need to be rehomed into a farm working environment. Others seem quite happy to run, play, eat & sleep (preferably on the sofa )

Collies are good. Hard work but very trainable, but do boss you about. Ours think they are in charge, if we take a turning off the usual route they'll stop at the junction as though to question us and are constantly ahead of us. Neither chase sheep, one pays attention but doesn't chase, one is scared of sheep and has been chased out of her own garden by a few sheep before.

They'll run all day, can cover rough ground but also light enough to lift over obstacles.

Saying that our old fox/trail houndy thing was the best hill dog I ever had. She'd run all day. I'd probably look at getting a rescue one of those if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    one is scared of sheep and has been chased out of her own garden by a few sheep before.

They'll run all day, can cover rough ground but also light enough to lift over obstacles.

The lurcher once got chased across the road by a Siamese cat.. not very flattering for lurcher dignity.

The lifting thing... very good point.. don't want to be lifting some big lump all the time..but dear old Megan could jump virtually anything..
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

[The lifting thing... very good point.. don't want to be lifting some big lump all the time..but dear old Megan could jump virtually anything..[/quote]

when we first got Bessie I had to lift her over all the stiles she would sit down, stick herself to the ground & shake. Now she flies over pretty much everything

My Border Terrier is 10 and struggling with the distance / terrain i like to run so has been 'retired' from running.
    My wife would love another Border and tbh I miss having a dog to run with.
    Problem is we've read that an established dog (ours is a bitch) can 'fight to the death' with a newcomer...anyone got any experience or advice?
    Our dog isn't normally aggressive to other dogs, though she did inexplicably attack a random greyhound once!