Thread: Exercise Induced Anaphylaxis

Exercise Induced Anaphylaxis

Hello,

You lot seem a (relatively ) sensible lot so I was wondering if you could help with something please?

I'm in the process of being diagnosed with exercise induced anaphylaxis* (possibly food dependent but not sure yet). Does anyone else have this and how do you manage it?

thank you...

*sometimes when I exercise my throat swells up and I can't breathe and I get a very attractive rash - it's not pretty

Master

Re: Exercise Induced Anaphylax

Not a condition I was aware of until reading your post. I suspect most people have never heard of it. Hopefully you are being seen by an expert as anaphylaxis can be serious. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Not a condition I was aware of until reading your post. I suspect most people have never heard of it. Hopefully you are being seen by an expert as anaphylaxis can be serious. Good luck!
    Hello and thanks for the reply Mike. I'm still waiting on full tests but am struggling to identify a possible food trigger. It's a rare condition so not masses of research around it and I am desperately hoping we can find a single food trigger rather than it being idiopathic or purely exercise induced. I'm doing my best to be sensible about it but am not sure how I will adapt to the prospect of not being able to exercise freely - being alone in the hills running is one of the things that means most to me and I can't imagine my life without exercise.

interesting one - the wife has cold induced anaphylaxis (I think it might be called cold urticaria?) - has to wrap up warm on runs and take antihistamines before exercising.. a few times she's forgotten to take an antihistamine, or the weather has closed in on a run ie got colder and she's had hypovolaemia and nearly keeled over running... gets a classical urticarial type reaction to boot.... we thought it was caused by inhaling some antigen or other whilst running, but its weather dependent

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
    interesting one - the wife has cold induced anaphylaxis (I think it might be called cold urticaria?) - has to wrap up warm on runs and take antihistamines before exercising.. a few times she's forgotten to take an antihistamine, or the weather has closed in on a run ie got colder and she's had hypovolaemia and nearly keeled over running... gets a classical urticarial type reaction to boot.... we thought it was caused by inhaling some antigen or other whilst running, but its weather dependent
    Interesting - I suspect these two conditions are similar with respect to manifestations but with a slightly different main underlying trigger - food in one and cold in the other - though from a brief read the food induced type is less likely to come on if people have a good warm up and keep well rugged up.

Glen222

Well, its a strange case for me, it seems a lack of immune system against such rashes and swells that occur only by a little heat of exercise. I think its little bit more complicated than it seems and you should consult with your doctor.

Thank you for the replies - it's a long shot but hopefully someone with personal experience will eventually find this :-)

Hello Glen - do you have the condition yourself? If so, is yours just heat?

My incidents have been all during exercise and heat but I have exercised in the heat many many more times with no problem than I have with an attack. I can cope with EI asthma but this feels like a step too far!

Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
    Hello,
    Do you think the antihistamines help or has she had to use her epipen whilst out?