Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: One for the girls

Re: One for the girls

Just say that all the women in your life are up to date with their smears please and if not that you've sent them off to have it done immediately. Ultimately that's why this post is here; to try and make people see that the smear is no optional thing, it really must be done. I have no symptoms at all. I'd be oblivious but for the test.

I think things are moving on all the time. I've been told I won't be able to drive for 4 weeks, will be fairly well healed within 6 and should be properly recovered in about three months. I'll be in hospital for 24 hours only and yes, I won't be able to lift a kettle to start with. Obviously that's just guidance as everyone heals at different rates but the promise of a short score Omm fills me with hope.

I was longing for a dreamy summer of running, wild camping, wild swimming, bird watching and bbq's. I suspect those plans are just that now dreams! Ho hum!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Blimey what do you say to that? My mother in law had a hysterectomy several years ago and it was a fairly big op for her, I don't know if times have changed in that respect but she was pretty weak and couldn't lift anything for ages.

I hope it goes well for you and they get things sorted out.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

In one respect it's good that they can sort it finally and properly. It's obviously a major op physically and mentally, but I think you'll probably recover quicker than most because of your fitness level.

It's lucky that your doc understands. Small world though isn't it? My accountant is a fellrunner - only found that out after 3 years! And when I was in hospital myself a year and half ago one of the nurses on the ward was a fellrunner too. Only problem was, because I'd had surgery on my jaw I couldn't actually talk to him about it.

Definitely a lesson to us all - I for one will never ignore The Letter again.
    Run like hell and get the agony over with - Clarence DeMar

Really good luck with both the Bob Graham and your op Stef. My friend had a hysterectomy in her 30s for the same reason and she recovered fairly quickly. She never does any exercise so I suspect that you will have a head start. Hopefully you'll still have a good summer and there is always next summer and many more to enjoy.

I have my appointment on Wednesday. I've had dodgy results in the past so get checked yearly but I still buried my letter (which came in January) and it was your posts that reminded me, so thank you for the push.

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    Just say that all the women in your life are up to date with their smears please and if not that you've sent them off to have it done immediately. Ultimately that's why this post is here; to try and make people see that the smear is no optional thing, it really must be done. I have no symptoms at all. I'd be oblivious but for the test.

I think things are moving on all the time. I've been told I won't be able to drive for 4 weeks, will be fairly well healed within 6 and should be properly recovered in about three months. I'll be in hospital for 24 hours only and yes, I won't be able to lift a kettle to start with. Obviously that's just guidance as everyone heals at different rates but the promise of a short score Omm fills me with hope.

I was longing for a dreamy summer of running, wild camping, wild swimming, bird watching and bbq's. I suspect those plans are just that now dreams! Ho hum!

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    I have my appointment on Wednesday. I've had dodgy results in the past so get checked yearly but I still buried my letter (which came in January) and it was your posts that reminded me, so thank you for the push.
    How did you get on Hes? Is all ok?

I have my operation date. 17th August.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Hi Stef, yes thanks, it came back clear...hurray! Big relief and they think I can go back to being checked every three years now (although I think I'd prefer more often just in case).

Really good luck with your operation. I hope you make a speedy recovery.

How did you get on Hes? Is all ok?

I have my operation date. 17th August.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Good news Hes, pleased for you. Best of luck Stef, see you and Andy before then anyway.
    Hills and Guinness!

Good luck with the operation stef, I am sure with your level of health and fitness, you will have a speedy recovery, I certainly hope so

Thanks girls and guys. The letters came today; tempted to send them back with red pen marking the typo's but will refrain!

Saunders this weekend to distract me. Hurrah for the fells!

Stef
    xx
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Good luck with that Stef and glad they've given you a quick recovery time

In repsonse to what Rob said I just wanted to point out that recovery times vary according to the type of procedure carried out (there are many ways to have a hysterectomy performed depending on many variables). Whilst being fit helps recovery different types of hysterectomy have a much longer recovery time. Returning to activity too quickly can cause prolapse, more so with different types of hysterectomy oddly enough. I was in hospital for a week and not allowed to do more than potter about the house for a further week. Then it was a very slow increase in activity. I had to have 6 months off from running or any other form of serious exercise. It was tough but better than risking prolapse. Religious performing of pelvic floor exercises for life too. Worth it though as it gave me quality of life back (and no more smears too!) Obviously for some women it's a life saver.

Super Moderator

Stef went into hospital in Southampton earlier this morning for her hysterectomy. The procedure is being done using the keyhole method. Stef's mum and dad are with her and her mum is to update me with how Stef is getting on. I'll update the thread when I have any further news
    Poacher turned game-keeper