Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evening club runs.

Evening club runs.

The nights have drawn in and as club runners we are all in the dark. Tell me what you do with your club on these dark nights, I need to change my group runs up a bit. We currently trapse around the town on the roads for 7 or 8 miles getting every hill we can...are we all in the same boat?

Re: Evening club runs.

I've encouraged all my members to buy headtorches so that I can lead them off the roads and on to the trails. Given the differing levels of ability I can't really risk the fells with them. Not all would make it back!! I've supplied website links for different levels and prices of torch to suit everybody and then left it to them. The response has been good, everybody WILL be buying one, if they haven't done so already. We're talking about a group of around 20 here.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

At Pennine everyone dons a headtorch and heads off up Kinder the same as usual. Having said that there are also structured sessions (Parlaufs etc.) organised every other week during the dark days for those that fancy a change.

Super Moderator

We're just starting our fourth (iirc) winter of regular Wednesday night off-road headtorchers. The group has grown to double what it was at the start. We've been known to have a telephone round during a nice bright day and organise a run out that evening too, especially last winter in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    The nights have drawn in and as club runners we are all in the dark. Tell me what you do with your club on these dark nights, I need to change my group runs up a bit. We currently trapse around the town on the roads for 7 or 8 miles getting every hill we can...are we all in the same boat?
    A shot in the dark here FF (in the dark... ged it?) but, given that you're in North Yorkshire, do you run with Skipton AC by any chance? They're right road runners with about 73 vaguely different street routes through the back streets of Skipton that they pound every Tuesday and Thursday evening in the winter.

Dark peak go out over Howden ,Kinder etc via torchlight every wednesday, some times there can be 30+ of us, We usually split in to 2-3 groups depending o ability and conditions, we also have a few night races to keep the skills up as well.

Warts are our name and Wartings the game. One from base and then an away run every other week.
    We also have a guerilla warts, you never know where they might strike....

Often just go out with friends if we can't make it for start time, meet in the pub for afters.

mmm...no one seems to be on the roads, that's a tricky one. I'm not with Skipton. My club doesn't have a designated fell section as we are mainly a roadrunning club, my group are definately road runners.

There's your problem! Even if they could, would they?!
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    mmm...no one seems to be on the roads, that's a tricky one. I'm not with Skipton. My club doesn't have a designated fell section as we are mainly a roadrunning club, my group are definately road runners.
    so there's your opportunuty to get one started, start by running up a familiar path/ track tec and expand on it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    Given the differing levels of ability I can't really risk the fells with them. Not all would make it back!!
    My solution to this would be to put an experienced fell runner at the front and back of the pack, pick a reasonably non technical route that you know well and do an out-and-back so the chances of anyone being left behind are reduced. Just a thought but that's how I would do it. I love night running and I would do it on the fells but only somewhere I know I could get a signal on my phone and not too technical or dangerous.