Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we trust the police?

Can we trust the police?

Hillsborough, Stephen Lawrence, undercover officers having sexual relationships with the people they are investigating, Plebgate, Antony Grainger, lying after shooting Mark Duggan, setting up fracking protestors on fake charges - and this is what we know about!

I don't doubt there are honest coppers working the beat, but there seems to be more than a few rotten apples enforcing the law.

Can we trust the police now?

How can we trust them in the future?

Banned
    As in all institutions, there are good and bad.

I think the number of rotten law enforcement officers is growing rapidly.

The thing I don't like is how they appear to avoid justice in court for various reasons that are all in their favour.

trust no one
    Last edited by MickTor; 06-03-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: GRAMMAR
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

In my over inflated opinion. The majority of Rozzers want to do a good job.

But.

That doesn't mean we should trust them. Like anyone in a position of authority their activities should be open to criticism and scrutiny, as clearly bad things get done. They are after all still human, with all the myriad of faults, fallibilities and sometimes down right nastiness that entails. And when they do something wrong, they should get the book thrown at them with no leniency.

But make no mistake, when my garage gets broken into. It'll be the Police I call.

In short, we should never trust them, and constantly scrutinise them. But only due to the position they hold, and the potential for abuse of that position.
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    In my over inflated opinion. The majority of Rozzers want to do a good job.

But.

That doesn't mean we should trust them. Like anyone in a position of authority their activities should be open to criticism and scrutiny, as clearly bad things get done. They are after all still human, with all the myriad of faults, fallibilities and sometimes down right nastiness that entails. And when they do something wrong, they should get the book thrown at them with no leniency.

But make no mistake, when my garage gets broken into. It'll be the Police I call.

In short, we should never trust them, and constantly scrutinise them. But only due to the position they hold, and the potential for abuse of that position.
    I agree with you, but how can a democratic society be functional with an untrustworthy police force?

With lots of chuntering, muttering and general whinging.

Like we are doing now. As much as I love to forecast the imminent demise of British society. By and large it ticks along just fine. The edges are a bit grubby, and the colours seem dulled that's true. And theirs much that could be done to spruce things up, equality, social mobility, poverty etc. But it's not life under Pol Pot.

Well not get onto foreign policy.
    pies

As long as we have human police, we'll get the best and worst that human nature brings.

I think the examples you've given highlight what happens when people are conflicted. Obviously, people will do what they can to avoid making themselves look bad or losing their jobs. Police are no different in that respect.

But in general life, like investigating burglaries and arresting people, there is no conflict. So they'll be pretty likely to do a reasonable job.

Any coppers on the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    trust no one
    not sure I trust this comment....are you sure Mikk

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    not sure I trust this comment....are you sure Mikk
    Yes you can trust me
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post

I don't doubt there are honest coppers working the beat, but there seems to be more than a few rotten apples enforcing the law.

Can we trust the police now?

How can we trust them in the future?
    Can the police trust the public to act any differently? No.
    Can the police trust the public in the future? No.
    They don't like the way we appear to avoid justice in court for various reasons that are all in our favour.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.