Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Today's Single Malt

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    We went to Islay, Jura and Arran for holiday this summer. Visited every distillery and did 3 tours (Bunnahabhain, Lagavulin & Arran).
    I was surprised that of the 3 tastings (and another at Kilchoman), I actually preferred the youngest 10yo Arran. Probably the easiest drinking - light, honeyed tones - but subtly complex presumably as it is not chill filtered.
    Other favourites I brought back were a quarter cask of Laphroaig and a Sherry cask Bunnahabhain (toitteach a dha). Sadly only a drop of each left but I'm sure more will arrive in a few weeks!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    We went to Islay, Jura and Arran for holiday this summer. Visited every distillery and did 3 tours (Bunnahabhain, Lagavulin & Arran).
    I was surprised that of the 3 tastings (and another at Kilchoman), I actually preferred the youngest 10yo Arran. Probably the easiest drinking - light, honeyed tones - but subtly complex presumably as it is not chill filtered.
    Other favourites I brought back were a quarter cask of Laphroaig and a Sherry cask Bunnahabhain (toitteach a dha). Sadly only a drop of each left but I'm sure more will arrive in a few weeks!
    Sounds like you have a camper or motorhome

Never managed a distillery visit Pete, but did buy a 5 x miniature gift set for a mate who was waiting for a heart transplant, when passing the Highland Park distillery shop on Orkney. Must be 12 years ago now.
    a 12, 15, 18, 25 and 30 year old and my mate thought the 18 was best.
    I wish I'd have bought one for myself now, as at £40 it was great value compared to the full bottle price and I'll probably never get the chance to try a 25 or 30.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Sounds like you have a camper or motorhome

Never managed a distillery visit Pete, but did buy a 5 x miniature gift set for a mate who was waiting for a heart transplant, when passing the Highland Park distillery shop on Orkney. Must be 12 years ago now.
    a 12, 15, 18, 25 and 30 year old and my mate thought the 18 was best.
    I wish I'd have bought one for myself now, as at £40 it was great value compared to the full bottle price and I'll probably never get the chance to try a 25 or 30.
    You are quite correct, I do have a campervan and wouldn't be without it.

I do love a distillery tour but as I am the primary driver (and Scotland has a zero tolerance policy on alcohol and driving), I usually end up taking the drams away in a bottle to be enjoyed in the evening.

I have done the Highland Park tour which is well worth a visit if only to see the malting floors and ancient Italian milling machine. Sadly we didn't get enough time on Orkney to do Scarpa as well but it will be on the itinerary next time we head that way.
    Last edited by PeteS; 13-11-2023 at 02:45 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast