Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: BG in general

Re: BG in general

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    Outrageous???

Lets keep things in perspective here.
    Taking a 2 year old for a toddle up Binsey, Sale Fell and the like sounds like the best start in life to me.

And if kids don't want to do something, they aint going to do it.
    Nothing wrong with taking the toddler up the fell, the problem occurs when the toddler is more than likely going to be marched round the fells in search of an even younger record, for the soul benefit of bragging rights for the parents, that their children have completed these feats of endurance and ability at an age younger than anybody else.

I therefore still stick to my original view on this, that it is outrageous.

Quote Originally Posted by ukhursty View Post
    Nothing wrong with taking the toddler up the fell, the problem occurs when the toddler is more than likely going to be marched round the fells in search of an even younger record, for the soul benefit of bragging rights for the parents, that their children have completed these feats of endurance and ability at an age younger than anybody else.

I therefore still stick to my original view on this, that it is outrageous.
    Agreed - not good if the kids are going to be frog-marched over the fells, but I very much doubt this to be the case with any of the successful young completers to date.

I don't know if you have kids Hursty, but the only way you are going to get them to complete a long-term project such as completing all the Wainwrights is to make it fun and for them to enjoy doing it.
    So I also stick with my original view - if the kids don't want to do it, they aint going to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Navigator View Post
    Agreed - not good if the kids are going to be frog-marched over the fells, but I very much doubt this to be the case with any of the successful young completers to date.

I don't know if you have kids Hursty, but the only way you are going to get them to complete a long-term project such as completing all the Wainwrights is to make it fun and for them to enjoy doing it.
    So I also stick with my original view - if the kids don't want to do it, they aint going to do it!
    Indeed I don't have any kids yet, but its not too long ago I was one myself, so I can remember myself 'if the kids don't want to do it, they aint going to do it!' as i've been there many a time with my Dad!

But the general flavour i'm picking up on in this is that these parents are eager to create these so-called super kids at such a young age, and I bet the poor little thing is still learning to speak properly, never mind have its mind set on such a huge goal of completing the Waingrights!

Are there 2 threads running here?
    1) Young people completing the BG within 24 hours, regardless of ability.
    2) Young people completing the BG / Wainwrights etc. over a sensible period of time within their capabilities.

1 is worrying?
    2 is to be encouraged?
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    2) Young people completing the BG / Wainwrights etc. over a sensible period of time within their capabilities.

1 is worrying?
    2 is to be encouraged?
    Agreed FJ

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    A child will attempt something harmful not knowing that it's harmful. That is why parents, teachers, etc, have a duty of care!
    The courts can always be used to prevent parents harming their children.
    Quote Originally Posted by BBC
    A Dutch court has put a 13-year-old girl under state care for two months, stalling her bid to become the youngest person to sail solo around the world.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post

1 is worrying?
    2 is to be encouraged?
    Quote Originally Posted by XRunner View Post
    The courts can always be used to prevent parents harming their children.
    Felljunior - completely agree.

XRunner - I hope we can prevent cases ever having to come before a court, for example, by having imposed age limits for challenge events. Since we know parents may be too pushy, why not simply remove the incentive to push a child more than is good for them?