Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joss Naylor Challenge

Joss Naylor Challenge

I'm new to this type of event but thinking of having a go next year. Did a recce yesterday and I am asking - is the published route a general line for the course, or is there a requirement to "touch every summit"; I noticed that going to the "top" of Arthur's Pike and Rampsgill Head was a detour of a few minutes off the main track for what was a piece of slightly raised ground with a few rocks jutting out. I suppose, when supported, it's not such a fag with next to no kit (I was carrying a pack) .. no need for the supporter(s) to go there too. Ideas anyone .. or am I missing the spirit?
    Last edited by Redhead; 22-10-2009 at 04:06 PM.

Re: Joss Naylor Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
    I'm new to this type of event but thinking of having a go next year. Did a recce yesterday and I am asking - is the published route a general line for the course, or is there a requirement to "touch every summit"; I noticed that going to the "top" of Arthur's Pike and Rampsgill Head was a detour of a few minutes off the main track for what was a piece of slightly raised ground with a few rocks jutting out. I supposed, when supported, it's not such a fag with next to no kit (I was carrying a pack) .. no need for the supporter(s) to go there too. Ideas anyone .. or am I missing the spirit?
    As with all such events, you must go to each top however small. Another one is Pike How, nice little bump with small cairn.
    Yiannis

Thanks for that Yiannis. I'll make a point of finding optimal routes to those not so obvious ones! I have to confess I missed Pike How completely yesterday - wrong side of the wall. Would you advise staying east of the wall then - is there a track on that side? I'm assuming that you've done it? I am not fully fit yet, but I found the section Pooley Bridge to Hart Crag hard and I dropped off the 15 hour pace (my target) - I found the pace much harder than a BG recce that I helped with last year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Redhead View Post
    found the section Pooley Bridge to Hart Crag hard and I dropped off the 15 hour pace (my target) - I found the pace much harder than a BG recce that I helped with last year!!
    Hi Redhead, a few of us did the first first leg plus a bit more a few weeks back,
    I was suprised at the split times....we dropped a couple of minutes on each top on a 12 hour schedule.Need to get moving a bit faster!!

I'm hoping to do the challenge next year

Pike How can be tricky to find in mist - stay to the left of the wall, then compass bearing to it when another wall comes in from the right (if memory serves me right).

12 hour pace is really tough. You need to get to Kirkstone in about 2hr 45min. (We managed 2hr 35min, I think).

Good luck, Ken.

As GeoffB says, the 12 hour schedule is tough; the pace is faster than an average BG. The 15 hour schedule is more relaxed, probably similar to that of a 22 to 23 hour BG.
    Yiannis

Does 15 hours kick in at 55 or 60? Long fancied this but really doubt I can manage 12 hours - I could probably manage Kirkstone just about on schedule but I'm sure I couldn't maintain that for another 9 hours over much tougher ground.

15 hours at 55

See http://fss55at55.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html for my account of a sub 15 hour crossing.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Pike How can be tricky to find in mist - stay to the left of the wall, then compass bearing to it when another wall comes in from the right (if memory serves me right).

12 hour pace is really tough. You need to get to Kirkstone in about 2hr 45min. (We managed 2hr 35min, I think).

Good luck, Ken.
    GeoffB.....think i';ve just twigged who you are

I think the picture of Penshaw Monument on your message might give a clue about your identity as well. Mackems rule!