Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

Banned

World Cup 2018

Well?
    England don't look any better in the first half.
    Why would I expect owt different when it's almost the same team?

You have answered your own question there Stagger...!

Same players, same performance. Unfortunately I think we have to accept that unlike what Sky Sports try and tell us, we haven't got 'world class' players, we are an above average bunch buts that's about it. Allardyce will hopefully inject a bit of steel in them and make them hard to beat, but they won't ever become world beaters.

For those who expected us to change overnight, I think today will be a massive disappointment, but for me, I would say it was adequate with much room for improvement. Very pleased for Allardyce though, getting off to a winning start. He really is the man for the job, if the press can keep off his back. TalkSport appeared to be baying for blood after today's game already.

Banned
    When fans used to know what they were watching they used to have a song �� for team's like this.

"what a load of rubbish"

Slovakia aren't a bad team. Travelling away, dominating the game even before the sending off and coming away with a win is a very good result.

Overall Sam is the right man.

Just to remind you, in the year before we won the World Cup in 1966 we got an away 0-0 with Wales, lost 2-3 at home to Austria and a 1-1 home draw against Poland.

What matters, and what we have been poor at is the actual tournament football when it matters.

If I have a criticism of Sam, it is that he selected Sterling and Hart.

Arguably Hart cost us in the Euros. He made 2 complete rickets, without which we would most likely have progressed.
    Hart is a lose cannon who makes a few good saves.
    Heaton is there in the squad, but why? He's a club captain, I can't remember a mistake he has made in the last 4 seasons, and he has more to do than Hart week in week out.

Sterling is just a passenger and showed it again.

It's not about world class players. It's about a well drilled and well balanced team.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    A win, is a win although it was piss poor.
    Good goals but not enough.
    Jocks managed 5 when they played them.

Banned
    Decent bloke Southgate but not as England manager in my humble opinion.

The last world class England squad was in Italia 90. It's backbone was Shilton, Pierce, Robson with Linekar, Waddle, Beardsley, Barnes and Gazza up front. The Euro 96 squad were very good too. For far too long the hugely over rated Beckham, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard mafia were simply not good enough. Rooney would struggle to get into most Premier league teams and certainly wouldn't get anywhere near 95% of most international teams.

Quote Originally Posted by William Clough View Post
    The last world class England squad was in Italia 90. It's backbone was Shilton, Pierce, Robson with Linekar, Waddle, Beardsley, Barnes and Gazza up front. The Euro 96 squad were very good too. For far too long the hugely over rated Beckham, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard mafia were simply not good enough. Rooney would struggle to get into most Premier league teams and certainly wouldn't get anywhere near 95% of most international teams.
    As you say the so called golden generation of Beckham, Gerard, Lampard etc never looked like winning anything. At least in 90 and 96 I remember genuinely thinking we had a chance of winning the tournament, in 96 if Gazza had spent more time training and less time in the dentists chair he might have got a touch to the open goal chance that would have won the semi against Germany

Banned
    Well? another lack lustre performance by our world heroes.
    The managers declared he had inherited a mess.

Painful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Well? another lack lustre performance by our world heroes.
    The managers declared he had inherited a mess.

Painful to watch.

Check out our U17 Lionesses in Jordan (on Eurosport) puts the overpaid primadonnas to shame.