Thread: Mystery Fell Race

Mystery Fell Race

I have been reminiscing through my old training diaries and read that I did a fell race on July 17 1983 (in which I was fourth) but the only entry for location was Bolton Abbey. Can anyone help me with details of this race such as what is its formal name and does it still run?

I have not recorded in my diary the time I took for the race but I did record a total of 5 mile for the day. This could mean a race of 3-5m depending if I allowed for warm up etc. I was 19 so it must have been the full senior race.

The only memory I have of this race is that the start/finish were by the side of a river through which we had to run as we then went up a hill and back down.

I would have said it was more like a hard cross country run rather than a tough fell race especially as at the time it was the middle of the track season and I had just run an 800m the previous day.

Any information that helps me fill in the gaps in my addled memory would be greatly appreciated!

Master

Re: Mystery Fell Race

Hebden, Burnsall and Gargrave are all close
    Gargraves probably the most cross-countryish
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Think he means starting from Bolton Abbey TT.

Before my time and probably quite a bit longer than the 3-5 miles mentioned but where did the old Simon's Seat race start from?

Otherwise anything on Barden or Hazlewood Moors?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Crock View Post
    I have been reminiscing through my old training diaries and read that I did a fell race on July 17 1983 (in which I was fourth) but the only entry for location was Bolton Abbey. Can anyone help me with details of this race such as what is its formal name and does it still run?

I have not recorded in my diary the time I took for the race but I did record a total of 5 mile for the day. This could mean a race of 3-5m depending if I allowed for warm up etc. I was 19 so it must have been the full senior race.

The only memory I have of this race is that the start/finish were by the side of a river through which we had to run as we then went up a hill and back down.

I would have said it was more like a hard cross country run rather than a tough fell race especially as at the time it was the middle of the track season and I had just run an 800m the previous day.

Any information that helps me fill in the gaps in my addled memory would be greatly appreciated!

The only fell race SMOTS or TFM list for that Sunday is Bootle Black Combe (4th: S Parker).

But was it a FRA sanctioned event, or a BOFRA race? A cross-country style race, in the Dales, on a Sunday afternoon, in the early 80's might suggest the latter?