Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Lune Source to Sea

River Lune Source to Sea

This probably wont interest the majority – I think the prospect even bored a few friends – but I found it a good tough day out, not a fell challenge (thought about putting this in the general section for that reason) but definitely a good mixed terrain challenge.

Anyway for those of you not bored already here goes.

I found the source on Green Bell (cheers for putting me right on this Ian aka Wheezing Donkey) easily in good early morning sun. Then tracked the stream as it turned into the River Lune as close as possible without going out of my way to far, so I more tracked the line of it getting close to it were it made sense. I set off from Green Bell at 08:03 hrs yesterday and tracked it all the way to Plover Scar light house just beyond Glasson Dock, the tide was out so I even got to touch the lighthouse to finish the run; the time was 17:43 hours. 9 hours 40 minutes.

When I originally conceived the idea I thought of it as more of a gentle challenge with a bit of running and walking – sort of 50/50. But the reality of it was I had no head torch and limited light. Some of the run that I hadn’t done before (everything above Devils Bridge, the first 28 miles) was tough. Add in a toilet break were I left my map in the Tebay tea rooms toilet and had to back track ½ a mile for it, the amount of gates to open and close and styles to cross, plus checking of the map, and this made slow progress. So I ended up taking a total of 25 minutes breaks and running about 45 of the 51 miles. It was far tougher than I had envisaged but I had a perfect day for it and loved it for its purity.

I’m sure there are better rivers to follow and ones that can be more closely tracked keeping off roads. But it is my local river and for this reason alone it made a lot of sense. I have wondered from being a kid where this river flows from, to pass near my house in Lancaster, now I know.
    Last edited by Alan Lucker; 19-10-2009 at 08:58 AM.
    Lancslad

Re: River Lune Source to Sea

Alan - sounds really good. I was amazed when I did one of the Lunesdale Walks as an LDWA event several years ago. I lived in the North West for quite a long time, and had never been to (or even heard of!) the River Lune. We spent our time rushing past to the Lakes. It did help that one the day of the LDWA event it was a bright sunny winter's day, but even so, I was well impressed. And tracking a river along it's course sounds good too.

Well done Alan - What a good idea.

Two people could have shared the gate opening!

Sounds like an interesting challenge. We did the Ribble Way this year and although there was more road and track than I would have liked it was a good challenge and I would do it again, especially as it was for charity.
    Might try yours when I have a free weekend......god knows when, if I wait til I retire I could be struggling!

Great Idea Alan! and Well Done on seeing it through
    I quite fancy that Lunesdale Walks LDWA event one year

I'm a bit of a "River Geek" myself - a lot of the ideas I have for routes involve watersheds, whereas I've not thought of simply following the river!
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Sounds a great idea. I've always thought there was something special about the river Lune.
    So not sure there are better rivers to follow.

Tolkein apparently thought so as well.

Are the Shap tea rooms on route

You spotted my deliberate mistake. doh.
    I meant the Tebay tea rooms. This was probably the part were I left the route of the river most, as it meanders around and under the M6s junction 38 turn off. It is difficult to get near it anyway, access etc. So I deamed the route I took (via the Tebay tea room) as an acceptable route to go.
    Lancslad

Alan, well done! You didn't waste any time mulling over this one!
    You should get Fell Hound to include this in the "Dig the Peat" pages of the Bowland FR website - he's already included Dunc E & Steve C's "Hodder Way"
    Witton Park, I thought that the Hodder & Ribble valleys were Tolkein's inspiration; when visiting his son at Stoneyhurst?
    As Karen has already mentioned there is also the "Ribble Way". Plus, who's up for the "Wyre Way"?
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 19-10-2009 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Misspelt "Tolkein" - doh!!

I have wondered from being a kid where this river flows from, to pass near my house in Lancaster, now I know.
    That's as good of an excuse as any Alan, well done
    Bill

[QUOTE=wheezing donkey;263478]Alan, well done! You didn't waste any time mulling over this one!
    QUOTE]

No, I have thought about it for a while (about 6 months) but other things took precedence. I’m really glad you put me straight on the true source the previous weekend. A combination of good weather and losing daylight meant I couldn’t refuse last Saturday. The hardest part was convincing my sister to get up at 06:30 to take me to the track that leads to Adamthwaite. It was great to stand at the source as the sun rose, and even better to reach Plover sky lighthouse just before the sun set. It was a magic day.
    Lancslad