Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sep. FRA Nav course full!!

Sep. FRA Nav course full!!

I can't believe it's full already and it's only April. I'm new to fell running so have no navigation skills and really wanted to get on this. Gutted. So if you are thinking of dropping out and don't have someone else already lined up for your place then please think of me, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks...

Re: Sep. FRA Nav course full!!

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    I can't believe it's full already and it's only April. I'm new to fell running so have no navigation skills and really wanted to get on this. Gutted. So if you are thinking of dropping out and don't have someone else already lined up for your place then please think of me, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks...
    Sorry to tell you but there is also a reserve list already for this one too!!

Aaagh! Oh well, gotta try aintchya. Are there any suitable atlernatives to the FRA course? Google gives me plenty of links but they seem to be geared to walkers and/or are quite expensive.

Thanks for your instantaneous reply tho...

Aaagh! Oh well, gotta try aintchya. Are there any suitable atlernatives to the FRA course? Google gives me plenty of links but they seem to be geared to walkers and/or are quite expensive.

Thanks for your instantaneous reply tho...
    No probs! You could give Margaret a call and see if you too can get on the reserve list failing that if you can wait you could do the Kettlewell one next spring.

I'm just back from this and can definately reccommend it. The Elterwater one always fills up REALLY quickly.

I'll do that. I'm worried that next spring is leaving it a bit late tho - I want to enter next years 3 Peaks and, before that, races that will qualify me for it, but they're all NS Just have to see how things turn out. Thanks again for your support. I really like this forum.

I'll do that. I'm worried that next spring is leaving it a bit late tho - I want to enter next years 3 Peaks and, before that, races that will qualify me for it, but they're all NS Just have to see how things turn out. Thanks again for your support. I really like this forum.

If all else fails just do the races when it's sunny!! In that case you can't get lost - always someone to follow (worked for me so far )

...................unless your planning on being in the lead

That's a bit of a blow, I've also applied for the course - just sent the letter off two days ago - thinking, 'no worries, if I apply this early, I'll definately get on the course.' How presumptious of me.

Maybe if demand was really great they could put on another course this year? Only a thought, but it might be a good one!

Do the WFRA have nav courses?

Tag

As Emmilou says, don't let that stop you entering. I've always found my way back by following people. Only one bad moment last year on Tour of Pendle when this trick cost me about 30 places by following someone who went wrong from the top near the last trig point when it was really bad with hail, but, when you are out of the money what does it matter. Still used it as a qualifier for this years Three Peaks.

Try reading 'mountain navigation Peter Cliff"

One of the insrtuctor recommended it on the Kettlewell course.

It's a good book and pretty easy to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by hopey View Post
    Try reading 'mountain navigation Peter Cliff"

One of the insrtuctor recommended it on the Kettlewell course.

It's a good book and pretty easy to understand.
    Another very good book written specifically for fell runners is "Mountain Navigation for Runners" by Martin Bagness (Misty Fell Books).

Its out-of-print but can be found in many shops for about £5.00.
    I usually buy all copies I find for sale to other runners.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker