Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Descent from Seat Sandal

Re: Descent from Seat Sandal

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    Marvin:- If that is your actual BG route on the map do you ascend Fairfield via Grisedale Hause? On reccies and pacing I've always gone the other side of the tarn over the outlet stream and up to the ridge between Cofa and Fairfield but have never tried this way, do you find it any better?
    I went via the outfall when supporting on a clockwise round in 2003. Around the same time Nick Wharton told me he reckoned that descending from Dollywaggon Pike via the old fence line and contouring round above the tarn was quicker and he'd gone that way on his round. I've not gone any other way since as I really didn't like the direct line up Fairfield as it seemed to mainly consist of awkward ascent on scree. Maybe we got slightly the wrong line?

One other point to consider is the effect of lots of parties heading up that face, at the moment there is little sign of usage but the paths either side of Dunmail Raise show how quickly paths can come to exist on the ground. Going round via the tarn and the hause uses existing paths so should probably be preferred for environmental reasons. I know many of the coves on the east side of the Helvellyn ridge are ecologically sensitive but am not sure on that face of Fairfield.

I always did the direct route E of Grisedale tarn. There is a good water spring half way up Fairfield. Recently I have started going the other way while supporting and it does feel a more relaxed route although it is about half a mile longer with 25m less climb.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
    Marvin:- If that is your actual BG route on the map do you ascend Fairfield via Grisedale Hause? On reccies and pacing I've always gone the other side of the tarn over the outlet stream and up to the ridge between Cofa and Fairfield but have never tried this way, do you find it any better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I went via the outfall when supporting on a clockwise round in 2003. Around the same time Nick Wharton told me he reckoned that descending from Dollywaggon Pike via the old fence line and contouring round above the tarn was quicker and he'd gone that way on his round. I've not gone any other way since as I really didn't like the direct line up Fairfield as it seemed to mainly consist of awkward ascent on scree. Maybe we got slightly the wrong line?

One other point to consider is the effect of lots of parties heading up that face, at the moment there is little sign of usage but the paths either side of Dunmail Raise show how quickly paths can come to exist on the ground. Going round via the tarn and the hause uses existing paths so should probably be preferred for environmental reasons. I know many of the coves on the east side of the Helvellyn ridge are ecologically sensitive but am not sure on that face of Fairfield.
    on my round I left the top of DW at the same time as a group from Congleton, it was around 4.00am and very thick fog. They took te longer higher contour round the back

I went direct to Outfall (the best route I'd ever found, all grass, of 4 supports and 2 rounds + recces) from there head slightly east and up a small stream keep an eye out on left for a good trod/path that goes towards Deepdale hause but comes out around the 700m contour(I think)

Easily up the ridge to Fairfield with few rocks. Much nicer than that huge loose rocky path that you now have to go down towards Seat Sandal

we got to the top about two minutes before the congleton group who were moving faster than me at that time.

I guess it depends what you like?

I know the path you mean up to Deepdale Hause, the way the contenders I was supporting took went to the right of that, just after the spring that Yiannis mentions, it came out on the summit of Fairfield about 100m N of the path up from the Hause.

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    I always did the direct route E of Grisedale tarn. There is a good water spring half way up Fairfield. Recently I have started going the other way while supporting and it does feel a more relaxed route although it is about half a mile longer with 25m less climb.
    Yiannis
    I did the same. East of tarn on mine and previous rounds, but more recently the slightly longer route.

I've been up 3 or 4 times in the dark to meet folk on their rounds and its interesting when you can hear them (and other parties) coming off Dollywagon but you're not sure which route they are taking.

Recced both options an awful lot and think the out and back route is easier, albeit slightly longer. The ground coming off Dollywaggon along that old fence/wall is really fast, as is the run around the back of the tarn. I think the other way is a bit fiddly but to be honest, time wise, there's not too much in it.

I went round the tarn (west) on my round and its main advantage was the fact that it was uncomplicated.

Leaf - try this for bedtime reading:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=325
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    There isn't all that much sign I agree but it is a lot compared to what it used to be.