Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BGR logistics ...

BGR logistics ...

been thinking about this, and there are two things that are stopping me taking the plunge:

1) living in London - it's got to be a big disadvantage hasn't it... I'll move up north at some point, but who knows when.

2) Support team: I'm not a member of a club and know only about two other fellrunners, neither with any BGR experience.

Is it not a massive advantage to be surrounded by people who've done it or supported legs of it before?

What's the etiquette with piggybacking other people's attempts!?

Re: BGR logistics ...

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    piggybacking other people's attempts!?
    What an interesting image...

No smoking while on their back.

No off-putting jokes.

No use of mobile phones while on their back.

been thinking about this, and there are two things that are stopping me taking the plunge:

1) living in London - it's got to be a big disadvantage hasn't it... I'll move up north at some point, but who knows when.

2) Support team: I'm not a member of a club and know only about two other fellrunners, neither with any BGR experience.

Is it not a massive advantage to be surrounded by people who've done it or supported legs of it before?

Zoot, don't try running before you can walk!! First, offer to help on other peoples' attempts. That get's you training hard, as you daren't let them down by not being fit enough. Plus, it gets you networking with other BG'ers and builds up a circle of 'people who owe you a favour'
    Piggybacking other people's attempts can be a recipe for disaster. Each is slowed by the other's bad patches and you rarely both have a good patch together. And if you have not got your own personal support, are you expecting the other contender and his support to sacrifice their run if you have a major personal incident? Or have they to live with the angst and guilt of abandoning you in the middle of nowhere? Piggybacking is the epitome of selfishness and poor preparation.
    Living in London does not stop you from joining a Northern fell club and getting involved with the long distance antics of its members. PM me and I'll send you the contact for joining Bowland, we've got a few BG's, Paddy's,a Ramsay and possibly a Meirionydd in the pipeline for next year, that you could 'serve your time' on.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 03-11-2009 at 10:54 AM.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I'm also gonna be hitting the Lakes one weekend a month next year in prep for a 2011 attempt. You can always tag along and recce the route with me.

I'll be looking to support a couple of next year's attempts too, as well as targetting some of the longer events in the calendar as training.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Zoot, don't try running before you can walk!! First, offer to help on other peoples' attempts. That get's you training hard, as you daren't let them down by not being fit enough. Plus, it gets you networking with other BG'ers and builds up a circle of 'people who owe you a favour'
    this is exactly what I was thinking of

ta for all that WD

1) living in London - it's got to be a big disadvantage hasn't it...
    If you want it to be !
    You don't have to prepare entirely up north. There is alot of beautiful running to be had on the South North Downs - Leith Hill places like that. get a map and design yourself some gratuitous headbanging routes that involve climb, climb and more climb (not forgetting that descent is just as important).
    e.g. Train to Dorking, Holmwood Common, The Duke's Warren, Wotton Common, Holmbury St Mary, Hurtwood, Winterfold, Blackheath, train home from Chilworth
    or carry on over St Martha's Hill up Albury Downs to Netherlands down to Combe Bottom up to Netley Heath drop off Hackhurst Down etc.

as has been said - get involved, use this forum - The BG Club exists to propagate the experience.

Not really, I believe its down to you - YOU need to know the route - YOU need to be capable of completing, YOU need the "mountaincraft" Support need to be able to get round their leg carrying your gear and keep it cheerful -

bad form

If you are concerned about asking people to help and support - don't be, those that do will have a great day.
    Last edited by andy k; 03-11-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    If you want it to be !
    You don't have to prepare entirely up north. There is alot of beautiful running to be had on the South North Downs - Leith Hill places like that. get a map and design yourself some gratuitous headbanging routes that involve climb, climb and more climb (not forgetting that descent is just as important).
    e.g. Train to Dorking, Holmwood Common, The Duke's Warren, Wotton Common, Holmbury St Mary, Hurtwood, Winterfold, Blackheath, train home from Chilworth
    or carry on over St Martha's Hill up Albury Downs to Netherlands down to Combe Bottom up to Netley Heath drop off Hackhurst Down etc.
    that's exactly where I do do my training andy k

the piggyback question was asked in jest - I would only share an attempt with someone who I'd planned to do it with and trained with from the start

of course I know it's me that's got to know the route etc etc but as far as support is concerned, it's a bit daunting organisationally coming from a position of knowing virtually no one

Super Moderator

Z, there'll be several forumites recceing BG from after Christmas. Keep an eye out on Recce section and come along

This forum's a wonderful thing. Two years ago I knew very few runners outside my club but now I often dont know who to speak to first at races etc. XOTF is a great way to meet like minded souls
    Poacher turned game-keeper

1)
    know only about two other fellrunners, neither with any BGR experience.
    You cheeky b*****

living in London - it's got to be a big disadvantage hasn't it
    Coiuld be worse Isle of Wight? so thats no excuse

Sometimes you need all the help you can get but in the end its all up to you.

Its you who has to put the miles in and have the character to carry on when things get tough.

Help out on other attempts, you'll meet loads of new people for support and its great training.

I'll send you the contact for joining Bowland, we've got a few BG's, Paddy's,a Ramsay and possibly a Meirionydd in the pipeline for next year, that you could 'serve your time' on
    Nice one Donkey we always need fresh blood
    Bill