Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Middle age and sleep

Super Moderator

Middle age and sleep

It's often said that as we get older we need less sleep and tend to wake earlier in the morning. Has anyone experience of this please? When does it start to happen? I presume its a gradual thing
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Re: Middle age and sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    It's often said that as we get older we need less sleep and tend to wake earlier in the morning. Has anyone experience of this please? When does it start to happen? I presume its a gradual thing

depends what you class as middle age!! not slept a full night for YEARS

before 'middle age' for me: I certainly have lost the ability to sleep in late as I've got into my thirties - although it depends a bit how late I go to bed ....

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Not happened yet for me. I wake at 7 as I have for the past 30 years or so, & seem to be going to sleep earlier rather than later. Main change is I'm getting sleepier in the afternoons. Why's there never a yawning smily when you need one? ;-O
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

I'd like to think that I've not quite reached middle age yet, and I don't know about needing less sleep, but I do go to bed later (normally 12ish) because I'm too busy helping tidy up the mess/piles of washing up/laundry (what a 'new man' I am!) largely caused by the kids (4 of them) and get up earlier when my 2 year old son runs into the bedroom some time around 6am and jumps on top of my painfully full bladder. If having kids is a symptom of middle-age, then you definitely get less sleep, whether or not you need less.

At 54 I reckon that I'm middle aged for sure, and I agree that I seem to need less sleep these days. That should in theory leave me more time to be active and busy through my waking hours. The trouble is that I seem to be getting more and more bloody useless at doing anything active before about mid-afternoon! I look back with wonder at the days of early starts and having the fells to myself and a few like-minded souls. These days I feel like my legs and lungs don't wake up until long after I do. Luckily headlamps make the days so much longer so late starts don't mean short days.

Survive on 5-6 hours sleep a night, any more than that and i feel crap, 12 years of working shifts knacked me body clock up though.
    Hills and Guinness!

Forget to say, am i middle-aged
    Surely you've got to wait till your dead before you can determine your middle age
    Hills and Guinness!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Forget to say, am i middle-aged
    Surely you've got to wait till your dead before you can determine your middle age
    merry, if we are literally middle-aged that means we'll live to be ninety. Fancy a steady shuffle round the Hobble together in 2055??
    Poacher turned game-keeper

43, so I guess I'm middle aged.
    I've noticed that I'm getting less sleep over the last decade. The reason is Chris (8), Nick (6) and Alex (18 months)
    Whats an eight year old doing, getting up at 5:30-6:00!!