Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to Fell Running

New to Fell Running

Hi Everyone...I've just registered as a member in the hope that someone can help me!

I started running in 2007 and joined a running club. I do mainly road running but did x country for the club last season for the first time. I also ran the Beachy Head Matathon last month. I loved it and would really like to get into fell running. I'm just struggling to find some decent events. I live in the Midlands, but don't mind travelling, but would like to this on the day really rather than stay over.

Thanks in advance

Master

Re: New to Fell Running

Quote Originally Posted by claire View Post
    Hi Everyone...I've just registered as a member in the hope that someone can help me!

I started running in 2007 and joined a running club. I do mainly road running but did x country for the club last season for the first time. I also ran the Beachy Head Matathon last month. I loved it and would really like to get into fell running. I'm just struggling to find some decent events. I live in the Midlands, but don't mind travelling, but would like to this on the day really rather than stay over.

Thanks in advance
    Shepherds Skyline on saturday. 6 miles 1000ft, as good a race as any to get started on
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Thanks in advance
    Hi Claire welcome along, summer's usually better for a wide spread of events but if you don't mind setting the alarm early and driving back in the dark you're not too badly located. A bunch came from Essex for the Settle Tough Trail this year! One of the Derbyshire peeps may be able to advise you better on their local runs which will be closer for you. It's a lot of driving but there's the Dunnerdale race on the 14th, looks like a classic lakeland day out to me although i've never done it myself but the mileage and elevation look ok for a beginner. Do you have all your kit?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks guys, I shall keep looking, yep, have some of the gear although left a good top behind at Beachy!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Hi Claire welcome along, summer's usually better for a wide spread of events but if you don't mind setting the alarm early and driving back in the dark you're not too badly located. A bunch came from Essex for the Settle Tough Trail this year! One of the Derbyshire peeps may be able to advise you better on their local runs which will be closer for you. It's a lot of driving but there's the Dunnerdale race on the 14th, looks like a classic lakeland day out to me although i've never done it myself but the mileage and elevation look ok for a beginner. Do you have all your kit?
    Dunnerdale is a toughy id be more tempted for the Roaches on sunday at 15 miles 3000ft you should be well upto it if youve done a marathon and its a lot closer (leek)

Thanks, is it this Sunday, I'm working!

Master

Thanks, is it this Sunday, I'm working!
    yep............do shepherds skyline cos its a big race as well about 300 people

claire - how about the week after:

SUN.NOV 22. WREKIN WRECKER (R). AM. 11.00 a.m. 8m/2400'. Registration and parking at Buckatree Hall Hotel, Wellington, Telford (GR 640 098). Start: (GR 633093) east of Wrekin Farm; 0.6 mile from registration. £5 on day or on-line at runnersworld.co.uk. ER/PM. Over 18. Records: 55.10 M. James 2006; f 1.11.03 A. Bartlett 2007. Second race in the Shropshire winter Series. Details: Glenn MacDonald-Jones, Lancaster House, High Meadows, Norbury, Stafford, ST20 0PD. Tel: 01785 284740. Email: [email protected] Website: newportrunningclub.co.uk
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Claire

Have a look at www.woodentops.org.uk the Stoop wouldn't be a bad place to start

You could google Running with David. David Denton organises a few races in Derbyshire and Shining Cliff in January is a nice run

Have fun
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Arrh, thanks for that! Got my club's first x country race that day! Does anyone know anything about the white peak marathon, can't see much about it for next year, I fancy that one!