Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training At Haworth

Training At Haworth

I was wondering if anyone could give me a set of grid refs for either the Withins Skyline, Stoop or Auld Lang Syne races (rough ideas would be fine). This might sound strange, but as a real newbie, I want to get out for some slightly longer runs than Baildon Moor can easily provide, and I fancy trying out these routes ready for the appropriate races.

I know the races are mostly flagged, but I want to get to know the area better before I enter anything. A bit of navigation practice would be a good thing too.

Re: Training At Haworth

Just a quick thought, is it bad form to ask for grid refs like this? If so, I apologise

Quote Originally Posted by StuRayner View Post
    Just a quick thought, is it bad form to ask for grid refs like this? If so, I apologise
    No it's not...
    Sorry Stu I can't help you - I've not done the Skyline but I did the Stoop and Auld Lang Syne for the first time and I'm not sure of the route at all - I just followed the crowds...
    What I can say is that the Stoop goes to Oxenhope Stoop from Penistone Country Park and returns along the wall edge before crossing the road on the way back, but that's about all that I know.

So c'mon guys this fella's new to fell-running - somebody must be able to help out...

If not, just get youself over to Penistone and head off towards the moor. There are good paths and plenty of sign posts that lead to you the Stoop (a small stone on the moor), Withins Top Ruins and Haworth Falls etc...
    Last edited by crowhill; 05-04-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Not exactly what you're after, but there are grid refs for the Yorkshireman half & full marathon, which starts from the same place on the K & C website,

http://www.kcac.co.uk/?page_id=207

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Not exactly what you're after, but there are grid refs for the Yorkshireman half & full marathon, which starts from the same place on the K & C website,

http://www.kcac.co.uk/?page_id=207
    I've done both the Yorkshiremans and Withins - They start at the same place as Dom says but the Yorkshiremans you turn left out of the carpark run down the road and take your first right then the route goes up and to the left and round.

Withins on the other hand goes straight on almost from the quarry/ carpark then the route takes you round to the right!

So - going off in different directions on the moors.

Sorry not a great deal lof help but I too just followed everyone and I don't recall any maps on the day for Withins?

Perhaps contact K&C and ask if anyone can help, or get an OS map and just keep going up when you can

Thanks guys, I did the trial Bunny Run last year (sadly the only race I was able to stay motivated for at that time), so I have a rough idea of where to start off, but from there maybe I should just pick a few random features (such as the falls and the Stoop) and navigate to them, and throw in whatever interesting bits I find along the way.

Hi Emmilou, I remember you from the INSPIRE thread on the RW site. Good to speak to you again.
    Last edited by StuRayner; 05-04-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StuRayner View Post
    Thanks guys, I did the trial Bunny Run last year (sadly the only race I was able to stay motivated for at that time), so I have a rough idea of where to start off, but from there maybe I should just pick a few random features (such as the falls and the Stoop) and navigate to them, and throw in whatever interesting bits I find along the way.

Hi Emmilou, I remember you from the INSPIRE thread on the RW site. Good to speak to you again.
    Stu - check your PM box!! It's the top right hand corner!!

Stu,

See my entry in 'Today's Training' for today. Although I've not done Skyline since 1996 the route I describe is probably a slightly longer version along the tops but is well worth following as all the features are obvious on the South Pennines map - although the paths can hardly be missed on a day like today not all days are like this on the Haworth Moors sadly.

I notice you train on Baildon Moor -a good route/race not far from there is the Jack Bloor race from Ilkley in May - all details including links to maps and checkpoint grid refs are on the website.

There have been lots of changes over the years, mainly because of numbers of runners and erosion. For example, the Auld Lang Syne used to follow the conduit above Spa Hill to Stairs, and return along the ridge to Oxenhope Stoop; nowadays it goes out along the Bronte Way and loops in the opposite direction (unless it's changed again - I missed it this year).
    A good 'basic' route is the current Skyline course which begins in the quarry on Penistone Hill and heads out along the lane from Drop Farm. This becomes a path. After about 500m fork right on a path up to a stony track which you follow (left) to just before Harbour Lodge. Cross the stream and follow the path round behind Harbour Hill; bear left and start to climb to a point just west of Stoop Hill. Turn left along the top to the boundary stone, and left again to the descent down Little Stairs brink. From there it's straight ahead back to Drop Farm, with some nice undulations and plenty of mud.

I train on Baildon Moor too. If you ever fancy a sociable run on a Thursday evening, Baildon Runners are a sociable lot and meet at 7.15 at the Rugby Club at Jenny Lane. All welcome. April to October runs are off road.

Hi folks,

Thanks for all the info. I was able to have a good walk around the area to get a feel for it, and this combined with pouring over OL21 has given me a pretty good idea of where to go (even if its not the actual race routes). Didnt get to run this time, as it was a family day out and fellrunning and very young kids dont go together!

The Jack Bloor race looks interesting too. Im away on hols on the day this year, but its another local run thats nicely mapped out (and judging by the contours it looks pretty steep which is a bonus), so I'll give it a try and let you know.

Thanks for the inviatation Tussock, but sadly my Wife works on thursday evenings so unless I can arrange regular childcare its a no-go.
    Last edited by StuRayner; 10-04-2007 at 11:56 AM.