Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Races in the Pyrenees

Races in the Pyrenees

was v interested to read the piece in the latest Fellrunner and it got me to thinking about taking a two week holiday next year in the Pyrenees, with the aim of taking in three races if possible: The Nuria, the Dent D'Orlu and Bonascre.

I'd obviously have to make sure I was in shape, but I was wondering whether there are likely to be any altitude effects at these races.

I've always worked on the belief that altitude only becomes a factor once you get above about 2,500m. Is this correct, or will you feel it before then if you're trying to run up a mountain? (I know some people get it worse than others, but as a rule ...)

Re: Races in the Pyrenees

ZootHornRollo, I have sent you a PM which hopefully gives you a bit more info on the races you mentioned above.

Also, we have found a race in January which is run in snow but not in snow shoes. If anyone wants further info on this get in touch.

Debbie Devine
    www.pyrenees-haven.com

Feet in the Cowclaps

I don't know if you're interested, but there are some (2009) races listed here. They're all over 20k though.

Debbie, thanks very much for the PM.

And ta FitC too

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post

I've always worked on the belief that altitude only becomes a factor once you get above about 2,500m. Is this correct, or will you feel it before then if you're trying to run up a mountain? (I know some people get it worse than others, but as a rule ...)
    This can be very individual so best to acclimatise. Personally I start to notice altitude over the 3000 mark, the highest I've been was 5500 (ish) on the Annapurna trek and for me at that time it was a real struggle. I hope that with 5 years of serious training since then I would do better now, but I've not had the chance to find out!

I will be doing some French races next year as we will be moving out to France in June-July so may bump into you Zoot.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post

I'd obviously have to make sure I was in shape, but I was wondering whether there are likely to be any altitude effects at these races.

Last year I went up Watzmann in Germany, its over 2,700m, felt tired on top but hard to tell if it was the altitude or the 2,000m climb to get there

But as you say some feel it more than others.
    Bill

If anyone is tempted to race over here next summer it might be worth knowing we also have a mountain stage finish of the Tour de France at Ax 3 Domaines (our local ski station) on the 18th July.

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com

went up to 3250m (10000ft) in switzerland this year and felt fine until i put a bit of a spurt in,then my head went a bit funny,might just because i was knackerd though

For something completely different...racing in the snow...

The races are either 13km, 23km or 50km and held over the 23/24 January. It is Europes premier snow race. Last year it was held in Font Romeu but it is in our valley this year (at our local resort).

The website is www.trailblanch.org or you can just google Trail Blanch.

Hope to see you in January.

Debbie Devine
    www.pyrenees-haven.com

We have finally updated the Sun/Events tab on the Pyrenees Haven website. Please take a look if you are interested in racing/running in the Ariege Pyrenees this year.

Debbie
    www.pyrenees-haven.com