Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Helvellyn Triathlon

Helvellyn Triathlon

Anyone else thinking of this?

http://www.trihard.co.uk/Helvellyn/Helvellyn.htm

They are taking entries already. I wonder if TheNoor is going for it again after last year's epic?

I'm trying to learn to crawl so I wont be too far behind after the swim.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Re: Helvellyn Triathlon

Best triathlon I've ever done - picturesque swim, tough bike course with great support on 'The Struggle' and a classic run section with a quick finish.

Not the rip-off prices they charge for some of the other events either - organisers like The London Triathlon, Human Race et al must rub their hands together thinking about all the corporate and relay team mugs who seem to fill up thier races almost as soon as they open for entries.

Great race - do it!

MH

I can't swim very well so obviously havent done it, but several mates do it so i usually cycle down to watch the start, then get a bit of brekky in Greystones Coffee House before making my way up Helvellyn just as the first half dozen finish the bike section. If the weather is good (as last year) I sit on a rock on Swirral Edge and take pics of runners (climbers) on their way up.

Fantastic day out, thoroughly recommended to all. Have heard this described as UKs best triathlon (by the 2006 winner) and another pal who finished hours later is also looking forward to doing it again.
    Event Photography
    www.athletesinaction.co.uk

You d love it Harry. I did it in 2005 - its great for something new to do. It really suits fell runners with a relatively short swim and hilly bike.

I went down to the leisure centre to do a mile in the pool a couple of times a week for a couple of months before the event. I found it useful to get someone who knew what they were doing to have a look at me swim and give me some tips. I think that if youre fit for running you just need to sort your swim technique out and youll do fine. I went from just managing 2 lengths of crawl to being about 70th out of the water in the event - which I was well chuffed with.

The bike I enjoyed the most - just make sure youve got low enough gears for the kirkstone climb. And remember no drafting!!

The run felt slow but as a fell runner you will pass triathletes like they are standing still - I certainly found this on the descents.

So.... are you gonna do it then!! Is johan keen as well?

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dux de lux
    I went down to the leisure centre to do a mile in the pool a couple of times a week for a couple of months before the event. I found it useful to get someone who knew what they were doing to have a look at me swim and give me some tips. I think that if youre fit for running you just need to sort your swim technique out and youll do fine.
    Oooh, this gets more and more interesting.

Did you have any practices at all in open water? I've got the sea to play with (more bouyancy but also more wavy).

Do you have to wear a wetsuit?

I seem to remember wetsuits were compulsary last year. Ullswater was very cold even though it should be at it's warmest at that time of year. As I recall it was only a week or so after those guys died in Ullswater last year.

As long as your swim technique is reasonably sound you will only need one or two open water sessions to get used to it.

As has already been said the swim is relativley short compared to both the bike and the run - a good swimmer will never win this event unless they can bike and run as well, but a poor swimmer might if they are exceptionally strong on the bike and run.

Do it - you won't regret it - just ask the Noor

MH

Interesting - I may well have a go - depends how my triathlon debut goes at Blenheim Palace on 3rd June - will it be full by then do you think?
    'That's what you get when you suffer - you get results'

Mud - You do have to wear a wetsuit. As well as keeping you warm I remember reading that it makes you 15 percent faster in the water cos of increased buoyancy. A good swimming wetsuit will be very tight with thin stretchy rubber around the shoulders and arms and thicker material on your bum and legs (to help keep you in a streamlined position in the water). I would imagine it would not be a good idea to do it in a normal diving or canoeing wetsuit.

All this talk has got me thinking of doing it again this year!!

I did a handful of swims in open water as preparation but I tried to do this with someone else for safetys sake. Once I got over the initial "AAAARGH...Whats down there!!" I quite enjoyed swimming in the lake. Cheaper and less crowded than the leisure centre!! My mate did get run over by a ferry on Windermere but came up unscathed to see a deckload of stunned tourists thinking hed drowned.

So.... are you gonna do it then!! Is johan keen as well?
    Yeah, definately. It'll be my 35th birthday so what better way of celebrating. I was down the pool yesterday. Its a bit demoralising when Mrs H at 5 months pregnant is keeping up with me but I'm going to keep on practicing. She keeps telling me I've got heavy legs and weak arms.

Johan's up for it too. He's going to step up his training in May, just as I start the sleepless nights.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

undercover moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fellhell
    Interesting - I may well have a go - depends how my triathlon debut goes at Blenheim Palace on 3rd June - will it be full by then do you think?
    I think that if you enter now, you can withdraw later and just lose £5.

I would imagine it would not be a good idea to do it in a normal diving or canoeing wetsuit.
    Hurrah, opportunities for shopping!