Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lack of sleep

novice

lack of sleep

Does a lack of sleep actually effect running performance? I read somewhere that two nights before an event is the key one to get adequate sleep is this true?

How would a lack of sleep impact when my muscle and lung ability are the same?

Anyone actually know?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Re: lack of sleep

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Does a lack of sleep actually effect running performance? I read somewhere that two nights before an event is the key one to get adequate sleep is this true?

Anyone actually know?
    Sleep is when your muscles repair themselves, from even the most trivial of exertions. Not enough sleep: not enough recovery. Therefore there's a risk that your muscles won't be starting on 100%.

On longer runs as well when the mental strength is just as important, a tired mind is not going to be as helpful as a totally fresh one.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post

Anyone actually know?
    Definately does. I've got a newborn, and it is no wonder they use sleep deprivation as torture! Don't tell anyone, but I actually ended up walking on a training run yesterday.

The trick about getting a good sleep two nights before is that you are possibly nervous the last night before and your sleep will be affected.
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Sleep is when your muscles repair themselves, from even the most trivial of exertions. Not enough sleep: not enough recovery. Therefore there's a risk that your muscles won't be starting on 100%.

On longer runs as well when the mental strength is just as important, a tired mind is not going to be as helpful as a totally fresh one.
    this makes sense

when I get a bad night's sleep I feel physically as well as mentally weary

although once I start intense exercise I tend to forget about it, and so it's hard to say what the actual effect on performance is - but I'd be surprised if there wasn't any

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    this makes sense

when I get a bad night's sleep I feel physically as well as mentally weary

although once I start intense exercise I tend to forget about it, and so it's hard to say what the actual effect on performance is - but I'd be surprised if there wasn't any
    When you get going the endorphins and that kick in, but if you were to time yourself over the same course once tired and once fresh, even though you might still enjoy the run tired, chances are you'd be slower.

Of course, it's illustrated best when talking about extremes, and there's probably a spectrum inbetween. For instance, if you normally get 7hr sleep a night, but one night you get 6.5, it probably won't make that much difference. Compare it to 2 nights without sleeping more than 3hrs, and you'll probably begin to feel it.

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post

Can I disagree a bit on that? Splitting hairs maybe but..

Rest is when your muscles repair themselves and you don't need to be asleep to rest.

Sleep is when your brain rests (by using different parts of the brain) and is vital to good mental health and efficient brain function. In fact sleep is a very complex action.

I only point out the difference as a life long insomniac.

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post

Rest is when your muscles repair themselves and you don't need to be asleep to rest.

Sleep is when your brain rests (by using different parts of the brain) and is vital to good mental health and efficient brain function. In fact sleep is a very complex action.

Fair dos. Looking at my liefstyle though, most of my rest is obtained whilst asleep. Fortunately. I don't envy you insomniacs.
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 18-11-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post

I'm with Flopsy on that one. Whilst you lot are zzzz-ing away I've still got the feet up and resting, just the brain that is still on a workout!!

I suspect though there is something about sleep that is physically more regenerative than just 'rest'.

Because you never really just rest do you: you twist and turn or make cups of tea or sit in a chair and read - all of which takes physical energy or tension.

It wouldn't surprise me if sleep is substantially more physically restorative than waking rest - because the muscles are in a state of total relaxation for a start-off.

Glad to be shown otherwise though - will make me feel better about my sleepless nights!

I find lack of sleep to be bad for motivation and mood, my work colleagues must hate me as i suffer from lack of sleep throughout the week. I hate running when i'm tired, it's awful.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent